The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I confess...I am a fish addict (1 SW, 2FW and a Betta Bowl)...

That said...I have another stupid question--but it's about Freshwater--so those of you who are offended, please move on to the next thread!! I've gotten so much help here, I just know someone else has FW tanks too...

I have a 20g freshwater, running with an Aquaclear for a size larger tank, regular strip light, medium river bed gravel bits and a "bubbler." It houses my 3 exotic goldfish and I was wondering if it's OK to remove the substrate/grid? I don't have the "bubbler" hooked into the substrate, it's just lodged into some of the aquascape rocks.

The reason I'm asking is that for my Oscar I don't have/use one and the tank (running with Aquaclear for larger tank, regular strip light, medium river rock gravel bits and a "bubbler"--he also has a large snail he uses as a football) is fine (yes, I'm searching for a 55g to move him to--I'm moving soon and hoping to find one for the move by end of July) and it seems to be "cleaner," not to mention easier to clean up the gunk (I clean them out every weekend).

The reason I'm asking is I'm preparing to move them to work (for me and everyone else to enjoy), and don't want to have to re-install/use it if it's not necessary--it's just so gross when you take the tank down (that stuff gets under the grid and it doesn't come out so easy--like just sucking it off the bottom...

Also, anyone use sand in a freshwater/goldfish tank or is this a no-no because they like to "sift" the rocks?

Thanks for your comments...hope everyone has a great week and stays dry! It hasn't done anything but rain every day here in sunny Orlando for over a week now (right now it's pouring)...

·
Registered
52 Posts
i'm assuming by "substrate grid and bubbler" you are refering to an undergravel filter in which case i would remove it . The aquaclear should be more than enough for 3 goldfish besides the upkeep on an aquaclear is much easier than an undergravel. Now for the sand i'm not sure that it would hurt anything because saltwater fish pick at the substrate as well the problem is cleaning the substrate your gonna siphon out the sand when you do it. HTH

Shaun

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i was going to say that removing the grid could get the tank pretty dirty and cloudy. but since you are moving the tank i say go for it. i removed all my ugf's as soon as i made my first move.

the aquaclear is doign a far better job than the ugf. and imo all that thing does is colelct more gunk.

since yo uare moving the tank, i say tear it out. clean the tank real good. and just put the gravel back in. along with the aquaclear and bubbler.

i've seen lots of people that use sand in freshwater tanks. every thing from normal silica playsand, to the brightly colored sands at the lfs. but i would NOT put sand in an oscar tank!

my only problem with sand in a fw tank, is that, imo, since htere arent nearly as many bottom feeders like in sw, the bottom substrate REALLY does need ot be vaccumed at least monthly. and i'd be worried about losing alot of sand into the sink while tryign to vaccume up fish poop.

i tried some really white sand once in a tank, and i lost about a 1/4 of it on the first vaccume. so i sucked it all out and put gravel back in.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
dang, i gott learn to type faster, or not so type such long posts :D

oh and btw: the reason i wouldnt put it into an oscar tank, is because they are notorious diggers.

i can foresee a massive sandstrom daily.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses...and no, I wasn't thinking of putting sand in for Possum, just the goldfish--but now I think I'll just keep the rocks. Less maintenance (sand replacement is good)...I like to keep stuff clean and that substrate thingee just makes me wanna...

THANKS again!!

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Firstly, if an Oscar is in a 20 gallon tank, you have/will have some serious problems. An Oscar needs at LEAST a 55 gallon tank but more reasonably a 75 gallon tank... That is the minimum for one oscar with no other inhabitants except a pleco...

I've kept oscars and have had sand sand substrate in the tank. Use Silica sand, do not use aragonite or southdown. You will never get it to settle in an oscar tank.

Undergravel filters are worthless in an oscar tank as all cichlids love to dig....

I'll respond with more in depth answers when I get home...

·
Registered
852 Posts
I would ditch the undergravel filter, keep the gravel you've got, and keep it wet in the move, most of your bio-filter is living in that gravel and goldfish are big poopers :)

Another reason that that tank might be dirty is that fancy golfish are alot bigger by body weight than other f.w. fish - they can require as much as 10 gals for each fish. I used to have 3 fantails in a 33 gal tank and still had minor ammonia readings...
:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
dont worry I am not offended by the FW questions.... I have 5 tanks... 75gal SW.. 29gal switching to SW.... 20gal High with Mollys... 10 gal with red tail sharks and fancy guppies... and a 2 gal hex with baby mollys....

·
Registered
395 Posts
deffinately look for a 75 or larger I have seen them not be able to turn around in a 55 gal and eventually die from lack of movement.
as far as the sand its a very very very bad idea for oscars the dig and rearrange everything that they can as they get bigger and will really casue a horrible looking tank IMO

the goldfish nothing to qoute or anything like that but they like to pick up the rocks into there mouth so I think something that small will get into there gills and lungs and cause a lot of problems thats what I heard anyway but dont have anything to prove it so
HTH
MIke

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Buzzhog for the info...I wasn't planning on sand for Possum, but am searching (and have several friends looking too) for a reasonably cheap 75g set up (just really need tank, stand & hood/light--basically everything I guess...I already have the new filter and extra river rock).

By the way...in your pics...how do you keep your Oscars from knocking everything around? I can't even keep rocks from being shuttled everywhere!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts