The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I will be moving in less than two weeks. :eek:

So, I get to transport my tanks and livesock from DC to the Asheville NC area. I have kinda done this before moving from Upsate SC to DC but things were a lot more complicated and simple with that move. Anyway, I am having to move my 40B, my 7.5 Nano-jam tank, and a 20g frag system. I am already planning to find new homes for a good amount of the stuff and I will be combining some of the tanks into one holding tank before the final packing-up.

For this move, I will be using several small coolers. Normally, I like one big cooler but because my new Apt will be upstairs, I can not use a large wheeled cooler as easily. So small coolers easily carried.

My plan is to use egg-crate and subdivide the coolers into sections for each coral type. Being a early march move I have to be careful with heat. I was planning to do this all in one day but it look like a lay-over (overnight) is required. So, I will pack the coolers up, travel to the mid-way point, unload the coolers but keep them sealed and "shake" the coolers periodically for water movement when not on the truck, and then unpack the coolers into a holding tank until I can get the main-tank up again. Fish will get a separate un-segmented cooler.

For the rocks, I will package into the spare 5g bucks with some water. Then will be unloaded from the truck over night as well to prevent a big temp loss.

I will be transporting new water as well. Likely enough for me to keep thing wet in a holding tank. Hopefully some reefing-friends that are not far away will be able to bring me extra water, still working out those details.

I will likely toss out my sand.

This is going to be *fun* (not really). I would almost prefer to sell all and start over but I have some fish that I have had since 2004 that I am not quite willing to give up.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
Doc, I do not envy the task you have in front of you, having done it a few weeks ago, although I only moved about 15 minutes away.

I echo your sediments of just selling everything and starting over at the new place! Those exact words came out of my mouth to my wife mid move of my tank! Never again will I move a tank. At the very least I will rehome the livestock until I have a tank suitable to sustain them in my new place! But I shouldn't have to worry about that for 15+ years!

What prompted the move? Hopefully it is a new excellent paying job to put that PHD to work! :thumbup:

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure you know, but they make these things called "bubble boxes", they run on two D batteries and are portable aerators, i think mainly designed for fishing bait, but i have found them handy when moving fish and coral around. At $10-$15 they might help with your move.

http://www.dirtkingoutfitters.com/p...141201-1.htm?gclid=CJbz2_2Sw7UCFQTqnAoddUEAeA
Cool. I have a similar product from AZOO. Same basic thing. I used them in the move from Va to SC in 2006 but that was in the summer. With the cooler temps looming, I can't use them as they will drop the temp to quickly.

Doc, I do not envy the task you have in front of you, having done it a few weeks ago, although I only moved about 15 minutes away.

I echo your sediments of just selling everything and starting over at the new place! Those exact words came out of my mouth to my wife mid move of my tank! Never again will I move a tank. At the very least I will rehome the livestock until I have a tank suitable to sustain them in my new place! But I shouldn't have to worry about that for 15+ years!

What prompted the move? Hopefully it is a new excellent paying job to put that PHD to work! :thumbup:
Congrats on the home btw. Yeah, I hate moving the tanks. My wife and I have been job hunting trying to leave DC and my wife was hired first (I like DC but my wife has had enough. She can't drive in the city for example). I will still be commuting to DC through summer for my job at times. It will not be pretty but it is what we have to do (I have family along the way). Plus with federal sequestration looming, it is not going to be good sintingce being in education/research and public-sector transportation is hit on both sides.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
Good luck Doc... Moving blows gorilla schmekkle.. lol... But I'm sure you'll have a plan worked out... Have you checked into local clubs around the new area... May be a good place to find local help..

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I think next time I move im going to get a brute tub used for feeding livestock and just pump water in it in the back of a truck......get an inverter.....set up a pump and heater. Throw all the livestock in there for the move including the rock and then there is no rush. But let us know how you do it!

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
what corals are you moving? i find it easier to not try and move corals/snails in water. put them in ziploc bags with some SW wet newspaper. saves weight and keeps the risk of the water they are in from going anoxic or even toxic from ammonia levels.

G~

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
You know thats not a bad advice G... Most.stony corals can and are exposed to air for hours at a time during low tide... Wet newspaper would keep them moist and perfectly alive for a short period... And.any bugs.that can't hack the air are toast.. win win.. :)

I've even seen vendors bring SPS to frag swaps this way.. :D

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what corals are you moving? i find it easier to not try and move corals/snails in water. put them in ziploc bags with some SW wet newspaper. saves weight and keeps the risk of the water they are in from going anoxic or even toxic from ammonia levels.

G~
It looks like I am moving everything (mostly SPS, but some LPS and softies too). Nano tank, 40B inhabitants, frag tank.

I have not thought about that (wish I knew about that yesterday for Nate's shipment). I was planning to move the rock like that which has some encrusting/recovering SPS. I will keep that in mind... maybe do some hybrid concept.

My big worry is temperature since it will be March and I will have to make an over-night stop due to the moving help. Water at least has more thermal density. The other is I was planning to use the coolers as temporary stock tanks as well. Things would be moved into the (open) cooler, supplied a pump/heater and come moving day I just remove the equipment, close off the coolers, pick them up and go.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts