The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 615 Posts

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I do not think I have ever done a real build thread ... since this is a re-build, I guess it is a build.

Well, backstory: Moved from DC to Asheville NC and everything that could go wrong did. So I have to start over. I have all (most) of my equipment ready so where we go. Previously, I downsized a 120 into a 40B for when I moved from SC to DC and I bought the tank/stand/return pump (Eheim 1260) second-hand from a LFS in SC. I was actually present when the tank stand arrived/drilled and knew the previous owner (I think they got bored). I have owned the rock for years in various usages (seriously, I horde good rock). Most of the equipment I have owned from some time. The skimmer is circa 2006 (pump replaced 2012), the Vortech (First Gen MP-10) was bought from a friend in 2011. The Tunze ATO was bought second hand from the same LFS in 2010 as well as my pH monitor (probe is new). I pieced together an extended ReefKeeper Lite overtime (2009-2012) in various stages... not my favorite controller but it works for me. Finally, the newest items are the RapidLED fixture and the Vortech battery backup. I was planning to swap to some Tunze flow pumps until the wife "surprised" me with the battery backup (which it has since tried to chop off my toe). Oh well. Oh, I plan to have the matching canopy arrive Thursday... I wonder the freight company can match the dents and dings of a 3 year old stand? I bought the canopy from a LFS in Asheville (Mountains to Sea) so I am super excited about it.

Ok, to the tank

First, I sound/vibration-proofed as much as my stand as I could before the move. I used some vinyl yoga mats as pads. I cut them to fit and then stapled them to the stand (except for the bottom). On the bottom, I lined the stand with a plastic sheet to prevent any more water from seeping into the stand. I also added some white paint-coated cardboard to the back of the stand as well (from the leftovers of a long destroyed bookshelf). For the top back, I left open and then created a yoga-mat-skirt. This allows for some ventilation as well as a place to run cords/pipes while still catching some of the noise. Works well. I might add a fan for additional circulation but we will see.

Ok, here is the planned layout (but will be switching back to the Octopus skimmer when I get it back). I have the white bucket for my top-off and a 10g sump. It was initially baffled but it did not seal as well as I hoped... so it is semi-baffled now. Oh well. Very simple sump with skimmer, heater, and return. Nuttin' Fancy.

ATO and power-strip

Battery Backup

Controller interface mounted on the door.

Ok, fast forward a few days.

I got the tank filled, rocked-up (with mature, mostly stable rock, and new sand). I know, those BB folks will be disappointed with me (since I like to think of myself as a BB proponent. However, I want a different ecotype so that is "ok". The sand is new. Bought oolite, crushed coral, and some shelly-mix. I wanted a custom benthic look. The good news is that I used about 1/3 of the total sand (more oolite than the rest), so I have plenty to replace it with. Oh, and the tank is no longer relegated to the back mudroom/ porch... it made it into the ... kitchen/breakfast nook/laundry area! Ok, kinda in the same spot but at least I get to look at it more. So here is the tank (excuse the mess, we are still waiting for the washer/dry to be installed so the laundry area and initial fish equipment overflow is not put away yet):

Frogspawn that is really testing its limits

The look of my mixed sand... consider it halichoeres wrasse friendly.

This is day 4 of running the skimmer on a fish-less system... after emptying it once aready... yeah that bad.

And image of how the skirt an the piping works (left)

Rockwork Design from angled front of the tank... I really designed it for a 3/4 look almost. Not sure if I am 100% happy with the right bommie.... will see how it looks with lighting on Thursday/Friday

I was able to "steal" one of the kitchen cabinets for fish-items (kalk reactor storage too). I convinced the Mrs to store the pots and pans up high... afterall, I am tall and do all the cooking. (I think my wife has burned a bowl of cheerios... bad at cooking).

Kitchen

Tank again... literally.

So, my goals for this tank is to have a few (2-3) small halichoeres/choeres wrasses... maybe a nem (clownless... would like to do a invert nem host but with the wrasses, there is an obvious issue), most LPS, maybe a few top-placed SPS, and some clams in the center area.

If you are curious, I am shooting for this type of tank as inspiration (sans softies), more favites, favia, acans, blastos, goniastrea, and the like.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f267/5-years-with-the-120-a-147960.html

You know, just your average LPS tank in a smaller volume. :lol:

· Registered
2,067 Posts
I for one was a bit surprised to see the sand. I like the yoga mat sound control method. How well did it work? I have a couple in the closet that might find a new home!

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, should still get the daily WCs. It is not as "easy". If you see the door next to the tank, it leads out to the balcony. On the opposite side of the balcony is a storage closet. That is where my water vat resides. So, I am guessing it is going to add about 10-15 seconds to my routine.

They yoga mat is working quite well. Not as good a acoustic foam but good enough. It really cuts down on vibration noise (save the Vortech) I think the skirting on the back has done the most. It is easily twice as loud when I open the door compared to when it was closed.

Yeah, the sand is the shocker but I really wanted the Halichoeres wrasses for a while. They can adapt to a BB system but it is easier when the system is larger IME. So, I am really designing the system around those fish to a lesser extent. I also wanted the "larger" tank to have less "work" tank (and I am doing DWC?). So basically, I am swapping concepts between my nano and my 40B. My 40B is going to be the "lazy" more nutrient abundant tank and my Nano will be the BB SPS system. I have been doing SPS for my "main tank" since 2008 so I wanted to change it up. I have plenty of sand left over to change is out each year.

Oh, here is another note. I am allergic to euphillia (frogspawn, torches, hammers). Yeah. Even when handling my frogspawn during the move it looked like I handled a bit of poison oak with my hands. Oh well, still like the corals. So this tank will be really interesting.

· Jabberwocky
3,216 Posts
Oh, here is another note. I am allergic to euphillia (frogspawn, torches, hammers). Yeah. Even when handling my frogspawn during the move it looked like I handled a bit of poison oak with my hands. Oh well, still like the corals. So this tank will be really interesting.
Are you planning to still keep them? I've heard of people being sensitive to them, but I've never had troubles until I got a dose of their sting about a month ago. I had a scrape on my knuckle and brushed my frogspawn with it by accident. Felt like a hot poker stabbed through my hand.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you planning to still keep them? I've heard of people being sensitive to them, but I've never had troubles until I got a dose of their sting about a month ago. I had a scrape on my knuckle and brushed my frogspawn with it by accident. Felt like a hot poker stabbed through my hand.
Of course :lol:

This is what a hammer did to me a few years ago... I have had worse reactions

At one time my thumb tripled in size and the Doc at the ER was having a hard time understanding what I touched.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nope... I just try and be careful... keeps me from having my hand in the tank to much :lol:

· Export with Care!
6,805 Posts
Sorry to hear about the losses. Glad to see it setup!

Sound deadening is always tricky. Its easier by far when your not confined to stand size limitations.

My move I was lucky I had time to dedicate a evening to each tank. The tanks were setup before any other furniture arrived at the house lol. Tanks were the only thing in the house for three days. A longer distance move would be rough.

· Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Man if a hammer made all that stuff grow on your arm you may wanna see a doc.... it looks unnatural....
Haha. :thumbup:

Taggin along.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Matching" Canopy arrived. They should have dragged it behind a truck for a few miles in order to match the sand. :lol:

Tank and stand. Nano canopy construction in the foreground... good thing I did not build the 40B canopy or my wife would have killed me.

Redid the rockwork. I settled on a simple slope from one corner. The rock on the right is for the nano when it goes wet so imagine black in that spot. It might become my clam garden area.

Another shot...

Ok, so I have some replacement LED on the way since I blew my blue-green array before the move. Sweaters and the corners of heatsinks and short wires do not mix. So when I get those LEDs soldered, I will install the heatsink and LEDs. The drivers will be mounted on the outside-back of the canopy near the wall. The LEDs will also be lens-less since it is a low canopy from what I did previously. Plus 10XMLs should be more than enough power....muhahaha

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, while I am waiting on my LEDs to arrive (was in Charlotte at 1:15am this morning but the USPS tracking has been "odd" to say the least).

So, here is idea(s)...

Right now, I have:
Whites
8 Cool White XM-L
8 Cool White XP-G
2 Neutral White XPG

Colors
10 Royal Blues (two dead now... from removing the Optics)
6 Regular Blues (Dead.. from the "Jerk" aka me)
2 Greens (Dead, Jerk)

Now, what I have on the way is a bit more interesting. Here it is.
Your Order Contains:
6 x CREE XP-E Blue 3W LED
4 x CREE XP-G R5 5W Cool White LED
4 x CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED
2 x Philips Rebel Cyan 3W LED
2 x CREE XP-E Green 3W LED
3 x Violet UV LED
2 x CREE XM-L Cool White U2 LED

Now, I did order some extra to have on hand if need be but, for the dead 6B, 2G and 2RB, I will be replacing them with:
4 Cree Blue (465-485nm wavelength)
2 Philips Cyan (490-520nm wavelength)
2 Cree Green (520-535nm wavelength)
This should give me great spectrum coverage in that blue-green range. I also wanted to have some Amber but those Crees have a 500mA max. The Amber would have given me a big jump in the upper 500nm range but the Neutral Whites give me a nice long curve around the 560 range. Maybe next time.

OK, for the two dead Royals, I was thinking of mixing in the Violet LEDs in with the royal blues. So it would be 8RB and 2V LEDs.

Another idea was to increase the number of XMLs to 10, decrease the white XP-G to eight. I think that might be a bit much light (especially since I am going away from higher light SPS. I just like the XM-Ls

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I very carefully... ripped them off. I just pried them lose with my fingers. Now truth be told, I know I killed at least one maybe two. I used as little glue as I could the first time around so most were fairly easy. I have not battery tested the others... so I could have done more damage and not known about it... we will see.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been a long day so (re)soldering and (re)work... got a lot done and took a bunch of pics... but I am tired so all I will give y'all is a teaser.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh and the LED light Teazer

1 - 20 of 615 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.