The Reef Tank banner

future fish wishlist

759 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  apartmenttank 
#1 · (Edited)
So I'm got into this hobby with the focus on corals, and didn't do much research on fish.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/60-gallon-cube-tank-231614.html#post2563869

Here are the details of my tank, i have 2 clownfish, 1 diamond goby, and a firefish.

I am thinking about what i could get into my tank. I want a long list of ideas so i can narrow it down to 2-4 that i will get into my tank.

I am pretty open to ideas, have been looking for a nice round body fish but most suggest 70 gal.

I will keep this up with Fish and if they need special care.
Mandarin- Only eats Pods, hard to care for
Royal Gamma-
Cardinal fish-Heard this was an easy fish
Cherub angel-Maybe alittle small
Flame angel-Maybe alittle small
Possum Wrasse
Orchid dottyback
Blennies

See less See more
#2 ·
For the hawk (oh hawkfish, my favorite fish. I am in love with a falco hawk I saw the other day), you forgot that they will also most likely attack hermits, eat any shrimpies, feather dusters, and bother almost any non sessile invert that could be percieved as food, they don't call em hawks for nothing! ;)

Going onto live aquaria is always a good starting point for inspiration when thinking about fish stocking.

Are the dimenions 2ft by 2ft by 2ft? That will limit things quite a bit.

I personally think 5-7 (depending on species) would be the maximum amount of fish you want total for your tank.

Given the short length of the tank, I just looked for fish on LA that were easy to care for and that had a minimum tank size between 10-30 gallon, with 55 gallons for both dwarf angels. They might not be compatible with your current fish though, I'm still learning about that stuff. I more just giving you a list of fish that would fit in your size tank. Then, others can comment on compatibility once you decide on what fish. Here are some fish that caught my eye:

~Royal Gramma
~Chalk Bass
~Bicolor Blenny (known to nip clams, LPS corals when underfed)
~Harptail Blenny (feed many times per day)
~Horned Blenny (known to nip at SPS corals)
~White Blenny
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+98&pcatid=98
~Yellow Striped, Kauderns, and Pajama cardinalfish http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...15+26&r=3122&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=10
~Orchid dottyback (can be territorial. you want fridmani species)
~Cherub Angel http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+455&pcatid=455 (pretty sure at 3" they would be okay, please someone correct me if I'm wrong)
~Flameback angel http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+446&pcatid=446 (same as above)
~Possum Wrasse

Hope this helps somewhat :)

#4 ·
Who said Blennies would nip at corals?
Angels, angels will nip at coral especially the soft and LPS.

If you're really interested in the care of the coral, then limit your fish
to maybe a lawn mower blenny to be part of your vegetarian CUC
and a couple or 3 small fish.

I have not seen any tank sizes provided in this thread nor aquarium
aquascaping pictures. Without these, nobody can make recommendations-
oh the link = 60 cube with 5 ppm Nitrites on 8/19 just 3 days ago
ok- reading on that was a typo as well as the .5 NH4.
Tested levels
pH 7.9
calcium 400
dkh 11~12
Ammonia=.5
Nitrite=5
Nitrate=0

WAIT .5 AMMONIA. i started searching for dead snails to explain the spike. Had my gf redo the test and she got a 0. Guess i just cant handle the tests.
So starting over here, the tank was new on 8/13/15 however, one saving grace…
i moved the sand in an inch of water i also moved all of the live rock in buckets filled with water from the tank.
Good job :)
Was the rock or sand exposed to any drying out at all?
Was it all live rock that was cured?

#5 ·
I have no plans on adding fish for a few months. i just wanted a direction on what i was getting. The live rock and sand was never dried out, longest it was out was picking it up from tank to full bucket. Only die off could have been from the lack of oxygen during the transport.

The tank was up and running for over a year before i got it.

#6 ·
I have no plans on adding fish for a few months. i just wanted a direction on what i was getting. The live rock and sand was never dried out, longest it was out was picking it up from tank to full bucket. Only die off could have been from the lack of oxygen during the transport.

The tank was up and running for over a year before i got it.
These kinds of details are helpful when asking for recommendations or any kind of helps.

All the blennies I know of will not bother your coral, other than possibly
occasionally perching atop of one. I have had a starry blenny devil my fish
in a worse way than damsels could, but not the norm.

#10 ·
Everytime i find a fish i want there seems to be an issue.

Dottybacks- will harrash my firefish.
Mandarin- tank is to small(i am considering setting up a 20L refugium to help with this issue)
Blennies- Nip at SPS
Angels- to small of a system as well as nipping at corals

I feel like my only option is Cardinal fish and a wrasse

#11 ·
Depends on the blenny. I've never had one bother corals, but I have had my golden sailfin blenny pick at algae by frags and knock them down. My tailspot blenny has never bothered any coral at all. There are only two corals in with my orange spot, but I've never seen him nip at them - he is a bulldozer and will knock them down and lay on them though. He can also be a jerk - I wouldn't recommend him with a firefish, but the other two are peaceful (the tailspot can kind of hover and annoy new fish, but he's never made contact - of the three he certainly has the most personality though).

Your royal gramma and possum wrasse from your original list are good choices. If you want a dottyback look into the elegant dotty. They're smaller and shyer than other dottybacks - I've never seen any aggression from mine at all (I don't have a firefish with him though). Chromis are a nice active fish that could make a good addition.

#12 ·
Seems like the elegant dotty back will be hard to find. I'm deffienitly looking into a gamma, my gf doesn't like possum wrasses so i will keep looking in that regard. As for chromis I haven't really looked into them at all.

I mainly need to find a fish my gf will enjoy so far all of her options are getting shot down due to incompatibility. Like the purple dotty back or the hawkish, and she likes the diamond goby but I am having issues with him covering coral in sand.

#13 ·
May seem like the particular classy dotty rear will likely be difficult to find. Now i am deffienitly looking at the gamma, our gf doesn't lomaz possum wrasses and so i can keep hunting for the reason that regard. As for chromis My partner and i haven't truly looked at these individuals at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.