The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I dropped off a calcium reactor for the minnesota zoo and got the grand tour. I have never been there before except to watch the Matrix Reloaded on the IMAX screen(awesome experience, 6 stories high, 12,000 watts of sound).

Anyway, got to see all the behind the scenes stuff. I want their 215,000 gallon tank. Wouldn't want to don a wetsuit and clean it however with the sharks in there. He said it takes 2 people to clean it. One in a wetsuit. And the other with a long pole to keep the sharks in check. Let me tell you, those sharks had some pretty impressive teeth.

Just thought I'd share.

Greg

G

·
id love to clean that tank.... and i wouldnt need anyone to hold back the sharks....ive swam with them in grand caymen....sharks are cool

·
Registered
475 Posts
That is a cool tank. the behind the scene's tour for TCMAS last year was very cool.

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
I agree. The zoo tour was very cool.

The sub-par reef tanks in zoos always kind of amaze me, though. Even at Shedd the last time I was there, they had about 6 reefs set up (small, less than 100 gallons each) and each of them was covered in a blanket of cyano, corals looked pekid and each tank had the same very basic stuff. I would think that they'd have an easier time maintaining nice displays, but most club members' tanks make those public displays look like poo. They could use us!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts