The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my fuge going for about a month now. Everything is going well my algae has tripled in size. Ive recently noticed an army of critters living in the fuge. I have a bunch of filter floss in the baffle leading to the return pump can these critters get through this floss? I definetly want my fish and coral to get a crack at these guys. Also it looks like the algae is sending runners to burrow into the sand is this normal?

· Ummm... yeah.
551 Posts
More than likely no on the floss. Definate yes on the runners. Sounds like maybe grape caulerpa? If so, it will put down roots to hold on. Other viney types will do it too.

· Premium Member
11,973 Posts
:wavey: Welcome to TRT!!!

Some of them will actually make their home in the filter floss. ;) If you are hoping some will make it through there and into the return section, they should although you are making it more difficult for them to do so. However, you can always pick up some of the algae and shake it out over your return to dump some extra critters in as well. This is especially good to do when you are pruning the algae. The runners sound normal for some types of algae, like Caulerpa, so it is probably just being algae. Do you happen to know what types of algae you have?

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its probly grape calurpa its has little bunches of balls kinda like grapes. there is also a litle bit of another kind that looks a little bit like a fern or like really short pine needles. Is grape calurpa safe for a tank?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.