The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see all these drop dead gorgeous tanks that look just perfect... then there's mine!
It's a 38g, so it's more of a small tank, but I have been adding to my collection and I think I have enough where my tank should be respectable at least... problem is I'm not a landscaper, and I'm sure my tank could look so much better if I just knew how to arrange my corals to best show them off, and the tank as a whole. :read:
This is such a cruddy shot, I'll take and post a hopefully better one tomorrow. I really don't want to redo the rockwork again, but if you have any ideas for what to do with the following corals please let me know!

My corals:
xenia (most will have to stay where it is since it's all over the rocks)
5 different rics
about a half dozen zoos (too lazy to go count)
pom pom xenia
assorted shrooms
green tree
trumpet coral
pipe organ
two kinds of gsp
tulip anemones

again, sucky shot... I can take decent macros but FTS's elude me...:freak:
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail -->
</FIELDSET>

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dunno Jess it looks nice to me (from what I can see of it lol picts so small). I clicked on the pict. but it did'nt get much bigger. Am I missing something I'm suppose to do to make the picts bigger?

I looked through the picts in your gallery but didnt see a an udated pict of your tank.
You sure have some cool macro picts in there. I wish my camera did macro that close.
That pink shroom looks nice. It has 4 mouths!

kass

·
11,345 Posts
i think your tank looks GREAT jess.

To be honest, with that one big huge rock in there, you are kinda limited as far as having that many options. If you could replace that huge rock with 4 or 5 nice porous flattish ones, you could do some stacking and ledge making that would allow you to do all kinds of different things..........it would help on overall tank flow and utilization fo your rock for filtration as well.............OR you could just add some nice flattish ledge like pieces for more options..........

I made your picture bigger for kass ;)

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks flyguy... that big ol' rock, yeah, I see what you mean. Problem is it's a big solid icky ol' thing. Kevin could cut it in half, or maybe into 3 pieces in a few weeks (that brat has 4 weeks vacation starting friday). That green duster is firmly attached, how long could it survive out of water while we cut? I'd be sad if it died because of that...

·
11,345 Posts
Being as my mushroom gluing trick didnt work for you :cry: you prolly dont want to hear me say you can peel that duster off without issue......as long as it is just mucous that tears off it does no damage to the worm......

and THEN you could glue him back to the rock!!!!:funny:

im kidding......about the glue part.......but you actually could but im not going there with you ;) they attach on their own pretty much wherever you put them unless they REALLY dont like it

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahahaha! well he stuck to that rock almost instantly I swear! I did peel my other duster off of a rock, but oooh he wasn't happy with me for a while. hmm...

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
agree with fly guy. Tank looks great...Only thing I can think of is (like Flyguy said) that one rock could be broken up.

Maybe just take a screwdriver and a hamer to it. Should crack easily, and it be pretty quick. Just an idea.

Other than that, I think you have a beautiful tank! Once coralline starts taking off, it's gonna be gorgeous!!

And it's also a very unique tank! I personally am a fan.

(an no matter what ANYONE tells you, do NOT get rid of the "Seahorse Rides" sign!!! I LOVE it!) ;)

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I think your tank looks great. The funny thing is I feel just like you when it comes to my tank. The only thing I would change if I were you is the little sign that says rides for 10 cents but thats totally a personal thing.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I think the tank looks terrific! The only thing I would change is the large middle rock, like FG mentioned, it limits what you can do because it's so big. I love all the colors in your tank - - good job!

HHC

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The tank looks good. I am also a very hard critic of my tank but one thing I keep reminding myself is that those beautifull tanks we see have been setup for a long time. I have heard people say that thanks take about a year to mature, this is when coraline algie covers most rocks and you get good growth on your frags. So it will take time Jessica, don't be so hard on yourself, keep aquascaping untill you find what you like.

Cheers.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like the way it looks too. I always think my own aquascaping sucks(which it probably does), just like Luey. It's nice to see different things.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
awww, you guys are so darned supportive! :D

Maybe just take a screwdriver and a hamer to it. Should crack easily, and it be pretty quick. Just an idea.
We cracked one other rock, and it's almost spongy inside, really. What we did was drill a bunch of holes thinking that way it would crack right where we wanted it, then we took a big chisel and hammer to it... nothing. We ended up cutting it apart on the tile saw (that's when I removed that nasty crab if you remember that). (#3 & #6 in the pic below)

(an no matter what ANYONE tells you, do NOT get rid of the "Seahorse Rides" sign!!! I LOVE it!)
That's not going anywhere, ever! Even after my horses are all gone that will stay as a reminder of all I've gone through getting things started. A memorial statue! lol!!!

[how many rocks are there in there. it looks like 4 big and one small on the right bottom. is this correct?/QUOTE]
7 actually... here, does this help?

Attachments

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been asked for side shots and I can't put them into a pm so here they are. The tank is set at a 45* angle in a corner so it's hard to get a full side shot...
if you're looking at the tank, 1st pic is the left side, then right then another as straight from the right as I could get.

Attachments

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh man!!! Well we did it,we took that big ol' boulder out and cut it into 3 pieces... I found the turbo snail! And why is it that everyone hides in the one rock that you want to remove? I had to dip it back in for the firefish to get out, and then after the first cut the blenny fell out! He's ok... now the tank is filthy and I have to completely redo it, again. Fun fun! The green duster is totally P.O'd right now, I hope he pulls through. There was no way to get him out tho since the end of his tube was actually tucked inside of the rock.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts