The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ReefKeeper
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you feed your the frozen food made by Sallys? I got a saltwater multipack, frozen brine shripm and some pink reef plankton. My question is how much and how do you all feed when you feed you tanks? Do you just drop a cube in or do you break it apart ...?? Also, what frequency do you feed them this?

FYI, my tank is 125g with a 30g refugium. I have 210lbs LR and a handful of small fish and soft corals and other small inverts. The tank has been up for about 5 months and all the key parameters are low... i.e. nitrate is ~2 - 5 ppm with Salifert. I also have a coralife aqualight pro 72". (3 150W MH's and 4 96W Actnics)

Thanks

Dan

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Thaw the frozen food in some water then strain. The reason for this is there phosphates bound up in the frozen food that could lead to algae problems. I feed every other day, sometimes every 3rd day.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hmm, I didn't know about draining the food. I take the frozen cubes and with a sharp knife I shave some off, then drop it right into the tank. However, now that you mention it, I do notice lots of green stuff growing on the glass. I'll try the draining technique.

How much to feed, though, still remains a question. I've heard no more than they can eat in 5 minutes or 3 minutes..They ALWAYS seem hungry, those fishies. I have 2 clowns (false percs) and 2 blue/green chromis and three peppermint shrimp.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i scoop up about a cup or two of tank water, drop the cube in and let it thaw for a while, then just dump all the water back in, i feed emerald entree, brozen brine, mysis, and sometimes blood worms. i guess i should try straining, makes sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts