The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi fellas...

i've finally decided to convert my 125 gal freshwater to reef tank...
i've already clean the tank, filters, heaters, etc.
i'm trying to utilized my existing equipment as much as possible...
these are the stuff i have so far:
2 canister filter (fluval 404)
2 300watt heater
salt mix for 150 gal
80 lbs live sand
hydrometer

i will pick up the ff on friday
125 lbs cured live rock
400 gal capacity protein skimmer
330 watt powercompact (ultra daylight/ actinic blue)
powerhead
test kit
stress zyme

questions:
1. what type of media should i use for my canister filter?
(biomax and carbon?)

2. should i wait till i get the live rock before i mix the salt and pour the live sand into the tank?

3. how does it normally takes to cycle the tank?

4. when should i start adding some livestock?and what kind?

hope you guys can help me set-up my tank the proper way...
thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
WELCOME
First - have you ever used any copper medications in the tank???
That will indicate what you can put in the tank.

Asto filter media - none, thats what the L/R and L/S are for. The canister will only build up your nitrates.

I don't mix water - I buy it, much easier and price wise cheaper 79 cts a gallon, 5 gal - $4.24 including tax.

Put your rock and sand in after a bit of water has gone in 1-2 inches then continue to fill SLOWLY.

Your cycle will take probably 4-5 weeks.

After your cycle and water parameters are good, put in the 'clean-up' crew.

Don't get the stress-zyme. It's not neccessary.

Get your p/h's and lights going (lights will only have to be on prolly 4-5 hrs a day until you add stuff).

Skimming won't produce a lot - theres no bio-load in the tank. Do however, put in a raw shrimp, or if you know someone that makes 'blender mush' a little of that. This will help to kick start your cycle.

Hope this is the info you are looking for.

Ask lots of ???, you'll get good answers here.

Lee:beer:

·
Registered
585 Posts
:banana: :banana: :banana: :blob: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Welcome to TRT, the friendliest place on the net.

Lee has it pretty much nailed down on the basic's. Do you know what you plan on keeping in the tank, full reef or fish only?

Lee's first question, copper ever used in the tank. Very important question.

What type of skimmer are you getting?
Are you going have a sump?
Would recommend you start with a decent test kit, don't cheap these out.

I wouldn't start with Damsels, they are territorial fish and will/can cause many headaches in the future.

Ask all the questions you need to ask. You should have hundreds of them. There is no stupid questions asked here ('cept if it's jay lol)

Looking forward tp assisting you in your little piece of the ocean.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Welcome to TRT we are glad you found us:):banana: :blob: :banana: :blob: :blob: :banana:

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for quick response...

i don't remember using any copper medication on my tank.
can you name some?

should i still use my canister w/o any media... how about some foam blocks?

the storeowner where i'm gonna get my L/R tells me about this some kind of mixture that u put in your tank...cover the whole tank for 3 days...and it will really speed up the cycle...he said i can start adding corals in 4th day...have you guys heard about that?

thanks again...

·
Registered
585 Posts
As for the copper, I would HIGHLY recommend you take some water from the tank and have it tested. If there is any copper, you can't use the tank as a reef system with inverts (snails, hermits, anemonies, etc)

I'm sorry to say this BUT...don't listen to your LFS... lol

You are trying to create your own piece of the ocean. There is no way (IMO) that anything should be added to a tank to "speed up the process", nor should you add anything in to the tank for at least 3 - 4 months. You are trying to build a biological system which your new animals will live in. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know MANY people who took the type of advice you were given and lost animals after animals after animals. I don't believe people come into this hobby to kill anything.

IMO, you should wait, take your time. Learn to be patient with your system and your system will reward you with many many years of both joy and hair pulling...

You could use the canister for flow if you want, but general rule of thumb, you want to move at least 10 times tank capascity (?) in water movement.

Your wisest decision was to come to this board where we can help you be successful.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi squid...

my tank is totally empty right now...
no water at all for me to check...

what should i do?

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
a good way to test the tank for copper is by filling the empty tank with water. you can do it on the floor, the deck, on its stand, anywhere. let it sit filled with the water for at least 24 hours, keep it covered if it is outside. also fill a plastic or glass container with the same water as a reference.

get a copper test kit and test away. test the water in the container first to get a reference. it should read 0. then test the water in the filled tank. it sould also be 0. if it is higher than the reference from the container then you have a problem. if not wait another 24 and test again. after 48 hours you should have gotten a reading if copper was in the system. when done drain the tank.

make sense?

G~

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'll do...

now can someone educate me on what are the possible causes of this copper on tank and the effects...
i have all glass tank...i have rainsoft water softener...

thanks guys.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Copper is a common element in many F/W fishh medications. Especially those used for the treatment of Ich. Probably the most common means of introduction of CU to the tank is through the use of Malachite Green. This is often used in a prophopactic manner, where by 2-3 drops per gallon are used on a weekly basis to prevent the start and spread of disease.

The copper atoms will adhere to, and imbed in the silicone seals of your tank. It is also argued by some that the copper atoms will adhere to the actual glass of the tank, and acrylic is worse.

All but impossible to remove, even with removing all silicone and resealing the joints of the tank.

HTH, Lee:beer:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi lee...

in terms of copper thru fish medication, i think i'm clear on that...
because i've never really have any ich problem with f/w...
and i've never use any medications at all...
the only thing i was using was the amquel detoxifier and novaqua water conditioner...

thanks again for the info...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome! Looks like everyone has covered you quiet well thus far. I am running a 125 now too. Its really awesome, this reef thing.
If the test for copper comes out negative, it wont hurt anything in my experience to do the water a couple of days before the live rock gets there.
It will take at least 3 weeks and as long as 5 weeks on average to cycle the tank.
Wait for the tank to cycle before adding anything. You wont need any special light during this time either. Like it was said earlier, add the clean up crew first. Then add fish. Just be patient and add a little at a time after the clean up crew is added. I used Damsels, but firefish Gobys are nice too and a little less potentially aggressive.
Biggest thing I would suggest is sit down and look through some books and decide what you want in a tank then set it up to accomadate it. If you choose to have a fish only, fish/reef, soft corals only, SPS&LPS corals only will dictate exactly what equipment you will need, especially in regards to lighting and fish compatability.
I would most highly advise against putting corals in after 3 or 4 days. You might get away with it but I doubt it.
But like was said earlier, ask tons of questions. There are a lot of experienced reefers here, some have a wealth of knowledge to share! Take advantage of it. I wish I would have found this site a long time ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New reefer.

Thanks for providing great knowledge guys. I am finding the change to a reef tank a little scary, the way you all talk about it. I am realizing that there is more and more to it every day.

I have just started a 45 gal fresh to salt. So far I have put in tap water and the salt and have got my temp to 79. I have also mesured the salt with a hydro meter and got a reading of 1.021.

I have upgraded my fluval to a 404 witch is double the strength needed for a fresh tank.

Q1 - The biggest concern I have and did not realize is the water changes. Can't I use tap water. The guys at the fish store didn't warn me of this.

Q2 - My new fluval came with a bonus protein skimmer attachment. Is it wise to use the canister to collect protein and filter the tank all in one?

What do you think the next step is for me?

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
The good difference

In a freshwater tank snails suck but in a reef tank their a friendly must, Duff Man Says, "OH YEAH!!!":beer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts