The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yowch.

The first thing I'd do is a closer inspection to make sure it's not brown jelly causing it to recede.

I've had a couple battles with brown jelly so far in my tank... I lost my first frogspawn to it, and a good portion of a hammer colony. It also killed a couple of heads on another hammer.

It's nasty stuff, but a couple dips in an iodine solution (like seachem's reef dip) combined with 'painting' the infected area with iodine during the dip clears it up pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, the infected head usually dies (at least it did in my case) but it keeps the brown jelly protozoans from spreading to neighboring heads.

I hope that's not the case, but I can't see too clearly in the photo what's happening to it to give you a definitive answer. :(

Crossing my fingers for ya.

Edit- It also could just be propagating itself, but I'm not sure if frogspawn do it this way.

G

·
are they connested to the branch at all? if so they might be dropping babies???? i dunno can frogs reproduce that way?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here is another pic after I moved the frogspawn to examine it. I don't know whats going on the piece of frogspawn that came off is floating in my nurse tank till I can figure out whats going on.

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well, I did a quick search and came up with a couple of leads on what your problem could be.

Try checking out these links:

WetWebMedia Euphyllid FAQ
The bit on the frogspawn is down a little bit on the page, above and below the first picture of the frogspawn.

Also, you may wish to check out this link:
Corals and Bacterial Disease
Look in the section 'Potential Causes'.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Hammer that had brown jelly once. Killed the lower branch. But now it has reproduced and the made two more branches. Good Luck w/ finding wuts wrong w/ it. I see that your bottom branch has no polyps on it. Thats wut mine kinda looked like after its attack.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Seems like polyp bail out to me. Probably caused from some sort of stress. The polyps my start growing again if you can contain them in a low current, med light area.

Good Luck
Dennis

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after doing all sorts of checks I think I figured out the problem. My sg was up to 1.0275 and my water temp had been running around 82 to 83 from the hot weather we had in my area over the last couple days. The sg went up because of me not being able to read and I added to much salt to my water. tomorrow I will be picking up a 10 gallon to use for frags so i'll put them in there.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
FWIW, my frog seems to do really well when the calcium is up in normal to high levels (400+). That and when I dlack off on feeding the fish or DT's, it will start to look ragged. HTH!

-Big Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.