The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an update on my frogspawn. I really can't say that it looks good for the Gipper. The frogspawn doesn't have an odor to it. Below you can see some of the latest pics. Also, I noticed my pom pom xenia doesn't look so hot. I tested my water and here are the results:

30g with 10g refugium
PH 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 0 and 5ppm.
Calcium off chart slightly above 500 (Salifert).

Actually, the overflow/siphon is getting cleaner (wierd) and my clown committed suicide. He actually jumped out of the tank. The tank is 4 months old and I have a refugium and skimmer. I only have a yellow tail & cleaner now that Nemo decided he needed a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Last water change was two weeks ago. Any ideas as to what could be killing the pom pom? Clean Water?

Attachments

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
Pom Pom seems to be one of those corals that some people can grow, and others can't. I personally have never had any luck with it.

On the other hand, Carrie's kenya tree grows great!

Your frogspawn is a goner.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a phosphate test and my tank is not grounded. Temperature does not fluctuate throughout the day and stays at 78 degrees all day long. The lights do not affect it. I put my finger in the tank to see if I could feel any current or tingling, nothing. Actually, I'm not that smart, Kerri is the one who has been giving me advice on what to do.:agree:

Loverotties said:
2 things.Whats your phosphate?and is your tank grounded?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yea JJ, Frogspawn is a goner from looking at your pics. I'd go ahead and toss it. I'll get you another frag. The other things are weird. I'd definately add a grounding probe just to be safe (Cheap Safegaurd). Temps are ok.

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
What kind of light are you running. If its Power compacts, those pom poms never did any good for me until I switched to t5s, now they have spread.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I am kind of surprised that everyone is saying frogspawn is so hardy and easy. Most of the LFS I have talked to, say that they are not easily acclimated. If the delicate meaty part gets damaged during shipping it may not recover. They need to be acclimated slowly and try to match the lighting that they were accustomed to. Temperature changes do not do well with frogspawn either. Once it gets established it seems to grow well but I dont consider it an easy coral personally. If you want anymore kenya trees or xenia just let me know, I have some green/pink tipped frogspawn that needs to be fragged if Keri's doesnt make it. I will probably bring some to the meeting if anyone is looking for some. Carrie (the other one):D

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
I will take a frag Carrie. I just unloaded all of mine and am ready to grow more. I started with one head and ended up with 3 colonies.That stuff grows fast in my tank

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
Carrie, If you are able to take a couple frags off your frogspawn, I'd be happy to take one!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
What we do to keep damage to a minimum with Frog Spawn, Hammers, Torches etc. while handling them. We always invert them, making sure that they have retracted, we remove them from the shipping bag. While still inverted we put them in our tanks. Once in our tanks, we upright them carefully. Bagging for a customer, once you pick the piece up they will usually retract. Holding by the base, we invert them, place them in the bag. You have to handle these with care, you can't just jerk them around or you can damage soft tissue. Noramlly within 12 - 24 hrs they will extend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
my frogpawn and hammers are going well. What i did when i bought them was to place the whole back in my sump for 30 min. to adjust to the current temp. in my tank. Then take the bags out and transfer (with the salt water from the LFS to a containner, then slowly add some water from my tank to the container. I did this 3 times then place them in the tank toward the bottom since i have MH. Then moving them up 3 days later. everything is fine and happy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I noticed you did not let us know your alkalinaty? Your calcium level leads me to belive alk might be low.... Frogs are hardy given the right conditions "isnt everything" but they stress during swings in your parameters or possibly low alk.....:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right now I am running PC's at 192w's. I don't have a test for phosphate or alk right now. I guess I should pic those two up. I was going to get phos at Atlantis when I was there, but they were out of the good ones and did not recommend the regular.

Now for recommendations on grounding. Any ideas on how to do this? How are all of you doing it?

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
its growing in my tank but not as fast as I know it can. My water is very clean. I am running ozone at 450orp, filtersocks, extra large skimmer, weekly water changes. The colony has been the size of a quarter for a few months now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have heard that before. But in this case the Xenia is dying off. Could it have been the Frogspawn messing up the tank a little, but without throwing any parameters off? Just sending some kind of poison out?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
are you dosing your tank with any type of supplements? . What type of xenia is it, brown or white? At one time I was dosing extra iodine to help my ricorida & my xeina went crazy growing everywhere. It's hard to balance a multi species tank. There is a certian trade off

1 - 20 of 43 Posts