The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The word Friday in it'self is pretty much as descriptive as Monday....both hold 'feelings'.....one good and one BAD.
Anyways.....HAPPY FRIDAY Y'ALL, and hope good feelings follow it for You.

Coffee is on, and and more of that cake from last night.....some of it as yet truly is 'unidentifiable'.....but good.

Hope peace reigns,
Hack

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
264 Posts
Mornin Hack and Vinnie. Coffee by the koi pond for me. Tons of stuff on my list today. I’m off and Liza is working so there is a blank slate.

I’ll apologize in advance for the long story but I know you are gonna like it.

My oscars did get picked up and moved to their new home yesterday. Really nice young fella barely 20 years old. He sent me a text inquiring about the fish and was really interested. I noted a Saskatchewan phone number. Replied and he is in Hamilton and hour away willing to pick up the fish last night. He had to pick up his younger siblings from school and would make the trip here afterwards.

Right on time he shows up and is very polite and VERY excited. I knew he had a 90g to put them in but he had asked if they were a breeding pair because he wanted them to have babies so his brothers & sisters could see them.

“So, You pick up your younger siblings from school every day?”
“Yes Sir, I’m the only one that drives”
“Did you just move here from Saskatchewan?”
“Yes Sir, I did, my mom and siblings lived here and I went there for school but my mom doesn’t speak much English so I came back to help her”
“So you put school aside for your family?”
“Yes Sir, for a little bit but I will go back at college here soon”
“If these fish have a brood of fry you are gonna likely want to move them to a smaller tank cause they are way easier to feed that way and you will lose less, do you have one?
“No Sir”
“Tell you what, I want you to be ready and the kids to have fun. You are a good man. Let’s get you set up”
Oh no Sir, I can’t afford to buy stuff and I feel bad taking it for free”
“Well, I got 10 10 gallon tanks left over from raising fry and I gotta do something with them. If you won’t but one or take it for free how bout ya help me out. The tank and all the stuff is mine and you are just storing it at your place. Does that work?”
BIG smile and BIGGER grin. “ Thank you!”

I stuffed that aquarium with filters, heaters, cycled gravel, air pumps, tubing, fry boxes, media, you name it he got it and some still new in the box. Great kid, we agreed to be fish buddies and share tank pics.

Best Thursday night on record for me. Felt fortunate to have met him.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It was so nice to meet a really good human and be in a position to help them. Put my perspective on life a notch further to the good side.

·
Super Moderator
27,353 Posts
Good mawnin’, Hack, Vinnie, Rick, and all of TRT!

Hack, thanks for the coffee and cake! Matters not the flavor (except I’m not a fan of black walnuts, sorry Jeff). I’ll add nanners and SC peaches.
Sooooo glad that PT has made your neck like brand new!

Vinnie - Yay with the delicious cool temps you have down there. Sounds perfect for a ride.

Rick - That story is the best I’ve heard in a long time. You taught him much more than keep fry safe. What a great story!

Family arrived in two stages last night. VA folks arrived around 4:00, and OK folks around 7:00. The OK took southern route, and then picked a northern route which took them through Hotlanta which was HORRIBLE. Jeff can attest that.

More later when I can respond to comments from yesterday.

Lots of love and hugs and peace to everyone!

·
Administrator
47,203 Posts
Morning gang getting ready for dr appt then get tires swapped

·
Super Moderator
22,246 Posts
Will turn into afternoon by the time I finish this post, greetings all.

Sorta busy so far this morning, middle Dawg Scruffy was the first passenger in the new truck, up north to my groomer friend “Aunt Barb”. She trimmed and dremel’d his nails while we caught up on what’s new.

Pressured washed the big Deere, got slightly dirty during the recent pine tree cuttings relocation from out front to the back. Worst part was the pitch/tar from grabbing the ends of some logs ( with now useless , pitch covered gloves) on steering wheel and assorted knobs n handles.GooGone and automotive wax/grease remover tended to the sticky parts. Pressure wash with foaming cannon( google it , heheh) took care of waters spots and the dirt that rode along with the Deere.

Been ordering a few things this last few days , some for the new truck, some,,, other “stuff”. One thing that showed up today was a set of rear wheel opening “ covers that hide the body color painted areas when looking at the rear wheel opening of the truck. Prev.trucks never go such luxury since body color did not stick out like the silver the new truck has. Instructions stated 20 minute install times. Did not time it but install took a easy 4-5 minutes. Glad I’m not that guy that needs 20 minutes to do da job, heheh. Pics below of before n after to see of what I iz speaking.

WeatherTech goodies are a few days away,,” wrings hands”.

Stuff I ordered for the Deere (attach/base plate and 2 fork lift type arms) were to be here today, latest update moved it to tomorrow, no biggie. IF/when the current clamp on fork arms to the loader bucket can make do as they have for a while.( which are on now, since I expected to need them to offload the 400# of the ordered parts today, off the FedEx truck).

Cool on the Oscar/tank fixing up the younger generation Rich. That action goes a long way in the folks coming up behind us in the hobby .
A red tiger oscar ( named Oscar, do figure , haha) was my first large fish back in the early 70’s. He amused both himself and us when he would mouth a handball I had in his tank, and shoot it from his mouth. Most times he put a backspin on it, the stuff one remembers , “grins”. At least one oscar will be the first fish I’ll get when I start up both salt and fresh tanks again. Pondering using the 200g Oceanic tank for FW, for a oscar and maybe a arowana.At least I can grow em out and upsize a tank down the short road, based on how fast both grow.

Overcast lightly , pretty nice day to be outside .

On to the day
Hope everyone is having a great day!
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle Before

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire After, wheel well covers installed.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Before- note the rear wheel opening showing body color.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light
After- side view looks (IMO) “even” with front and rear wheel openings matching . Dunno why they did not have these installed from the factory , especially for OCD OFRs like me , haha

• Wow
Reactions: cath and Tinsnips

·
Registered
264 Posts
I actually told the young fella it was my way of giving back to the hobby Junkzoo. If I can encourage the next generation to take part it will grow. I told him if he was worried about it then someday he could do the same then We were even.

I had a big Tiger named Max that moved with me to all my apts in college. I’d drop some feeder fish in and we’d bet which one he’d get first. They are like having a dog.

·
Administrator
47,203 Posts
Afternoon all, got another appt in six months so I guess good labs mean I will be around a while longer. Got the tires changed, about to change oil on car. need to look up how to reset change oil son light on instrument cluster

·
Super Moderator
22,246 Posts
Afternoon all,
Cool on the good doc appt. Doug. Us OFRs take doc visits /tests and lot more seriously as our growth rings increase .

Christmas in September here today. Thought there was no more visits by brown , blue or white vehicles today, but I was wrong. Weathertech goodies showed up a hr ago. Needless to say that door mats, vent visors and no drill mudflaps on all four corners n doors have just been installed . One more step in putting “needed” stuff on the new truck , with a touch of my choice of personal input.
The “Diver Down flag” hitch receiver cover showed up too, one more thing that if someone I know looks at the truck in a parking lot, they would say “Yup, that’s Jeff’s truck”, heheh. Running boards ordered( with the truck being a bit higher than what the old truck was, I don’t see the driver’s seat lasting long if I continue to slide out of the truck with the outer seat bolster taking all of me and my behind.
Tonneau cover of some sort/design to be next on the thought process for the truck bed. Will be times a cover over the bed will be something needed.
Only thing left is to get the front windows tinted to match the rear door windows, have not been a fan of side sun blasting me for the last 4-5 vehicles .

Since I created that much more cardboard to be recycled, looks like tomorrow morning will be a recycle center stop after a b-fast grub stop in town .

Now, a break/reboot after the surprise extended standing and bending to install the truck goodies, plus the dawgs are informing me that it’s “US” time.

Carry on TRTrs!

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ham Croquettes, mashed potatoes and creamed corn. DON'T put yer fingers anywhere around Hack......been forewarned.

A 2-DAY weekend lies ahead.....still in shock! 3-Days off last weekend.....a short week with Monday off and yesterday off , I mean we're walking in High Cotton right here.

An evening lies ahead with no instruction sheet enclosed.....whatever shall we do..... 🤔 😱

This place is really hoping as of late.....so many threads and posts to sort through....KEEP IT UP! Next thing Ya know there'll bring back the CHAT ROOM!

Peace to All,
Hack

·
Premium Member
25,282 Posts
Good evening all,

be nice if it gets more traffic.

today was such a nice day, lower temperatures and humidity. I will be glad when this summer heat is gone and fall weather arrives. Summer is the roughest time of year for me. I’m just a lot more sensitive to it the past couple years. But cold also can affect me since my weight loss.
I’m working on getting off the feeding tube, it not real easy. Been on it for almost two years. But it’s time. Today is day two of not using it.

·
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is sooooo refreshing not drinking sweat all day! COLD....turned THAT page in me life. I'll play in it, but to work....nah! The fall is just, just.....AWESOME! Pumpkin carving, hay rides, walks holding hands, leaves falling and ALL THE COORS.....just magical.

Didn't know Vinnie of your battles....SORRY..........Day 2 sounds like a GREAT THING!

This place has come back to life recently after a long slumber, and You and Rick are MAGIC!
Looking forward to the growth that's starting!
Hack

·
Administrator
47,203 Posts
Clifford was Jerels pet squirrel, as I recall Jeff would smuggle a bag of walnuts into the Keys for said squirrel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts