The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am setting up a 150gal tank with a 75gal sump for my oscar and I wanted some ideas on the sump setup.

I plan to incorporate a ~35 gal planted refugium as part of the sump setup and I was curious about what plants might work well in there.

Also does anyone have any thoughts on a good filter material that I could put in the front section? I was thinking of using the bio-balls from his current wet-dry filter with a filter pad, but I am open to suggestions.

I understand that people have mixed feelings on the effectiveness of refugiums, and too be honest I have never set-up a fresh water one before, but I want to give it a shot. Worst case I end up with a 35gal planted tank in the stand. If it really does not work I can always remove the plants and put them in another tank.

Thanks,

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
The idea in doing a FW fuge is almost the same (I'll skip the differences). Just pick a fast growing plant that you can easily harvest. Rooted plants have an amazing ability to remove nutrients from the water column. I keep a small 10 gallon planted tank and the water is consistently "clean" in terms of what's harmful to fish and the plants (provided they have enough Co2) out compete the algae.

You will need a nice light on the fuge. I recommend (and own three of them) the WavePoint LED. It's not all that costly and is water proof. It comes in a 6 watt and 16 watt version. The 16 watt version is linked above and will be the one you want for fast growth in your fuge.

As for what else to put in, Oscar are messy fish so you will want some mechanical filtration that removes particulates. If you have a good enough planted section you aren't going to need the bioballs and they will collect detritus. I would go for a filter pad. They are cheap and easy to change out. All your biological filtration will be in the planted section, which should be as large as possible, and in the main tank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a quick update:

I have had the sump and fuge running for about 3 months now. I use a filter pad for mechanical filtration and the fuge takes care of the rest. The plants are growing very well, the water is absolutely crystal clear and the plants are out competing the algae. This system is stable and my Oscar seems very happy and active. I don't think I will built another tank without a fuge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts