The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I'm starting to think that I'm feeding too often. I feed once per day, every day. I feed them either flakes with some little pellets, and sometimes, some mysis shrimp.

This is what I have right now:

30 gallong tank
30 lbs Live rock
1 powerhead and one Koralia Aquarium Water Pump
2 Clownfish
2 Engineer Gobies that live in the rocks
1 tiny yellow Clown Goby
1 small Bicolor Blenny
1 small Six-line Wrasse
1 Bangaii Cardinal
15-20 hermit crabs
15 or so snails
1 chocolate chip Starfish (he is sick, looks like mold on him)
1 Emerald Crab
1 Spotted Porcelain Crab

I'm looking to get a protein skimmer but don't know what kind, either.

How often should they be fed?

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
I don't think you are feeding to much. I would be more worried about not feeding enough than feeding to much. You may want to start feeding more frozen and less flack, though.

· Registered
183 Posts
I feed small amounts three times a day. No more than a pinch or two. Twice a week I do a cube of frozen that is thawed and a bit of garlic extract added. No problems as of yet with water conditions. Feeding is a funny topic. Everyone is different. Wonder how many polls have been conducted on this.....

· Registered
562 Posts
You have a whole lot going on in your tank! a HOT= hang on tank also HOB = hang on back skimmer. I would look into a nice HOB skimmer unless you plan on moving to a bigger tank soon. I feed everyday for a couple minutes or until everyone seems to get a little uninterested.

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
the amount you feed is not important. it is the speed in which you remove the waste that is important. i used to feed 2 or 3 times a day. my big skimmer would remove a good amount of the extra food and the wastes produced by the critters. the rest was completely removed when i did my water changes. have everything BB i knew exactly where all of the detritus was and could make sure i removed all of it.

if you are sure you are removing all wastes from the system, then you can feed all you want. if you are not getting all of the wastes out of the system and the detritus is building up then you are feeding to much/need to be more aggressive with your maintenance.

some critters need to be fed often (any planktonivore) and others not so often (predators).

G~

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
if they eat, they will poo it. you should be removing almost the same amount of poo as food you put into the tank. if not then you are just creating a cess pool. :(

sand beds make it very easy to believe you are removing all of the poo. do not be fooled by it.

G~

12,311 Posts
I feed Rods food m,ultiple times daily and firmly believe that you should feed your tank/fish absolutely as much as your system can allow without causing problems. If in trying to push this you find that your system cant handle all that much it may be time to evaluate your system and/or equipment if you want to take it to the next level

feed the tank all you can and get it out before it rots is the name of the game, and what will make you and all of yoru inhabitants, fish and corals alike the happiest and healthiest

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.