The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post! I've been in and out of the reef hobby for the past 30 years or so. I had this idea for a gyre setup that is unlike anything on the market, but is a relatively simple concept. I had planned to patent and market it but I never got around to it so I decided to just give it away. Hopefully the idea will take off!

The basic idea is to reverse the flow of both the input and the output of a pump to completely alter the entire flow of the tank. (See image for details of how this works). Once hooked up to a controller of some sort, I can imagine programs being created to have flow periods of ever increasing length throughout the day, you can use your imagination! One of the features you'll notice is there is no extra load on the pump, and there is a time of neutral flow which could also be programmed to last as long as you wanted.

Anyway, if someone else already came up with this, let me know! Otherwise feel free to share the idea! Just don't try to monetize it, please.

Since I'm new here I can't post pics? Really? Or Links? Spammers abound so I understand, but it makes it harder to share this...

copy/paste this into your browser for the image of the design. If you're able, maybe you could post the pic in your comments?

farm8.staticflickr.com/7030/6420342095_ef80ddb3cc_z.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I had to fix the valve placements because I wasn't think and made both the inlet/outlet on the same side! Here's an updated graphic:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
those valves are "kinda" like the Oceans motions solenoid valves, but theirs cost $300-800, any ideas on cheaper valves, like yours?
Interesting. The company could totally do the valves I'm describing but the ones they sell seem to have a single inlet to multiple outlets that vary. That's not my system. The main feature in my system is switching the inlet to the outlet, not simply redirecting output to various places in the tank, but to completely reverse the flow.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Interesting. The company could totally do the valves I'm describing but the ones they sell seem to have a single inlet to multiple outlets that vary. That's not my system. The main feature in my system is switching the inlet to the outlet, not simply redirecting output to various places in the tank, but to completely reverse the flow.
ya, I have not seen anything like your valves yet, but thats the closest I can think of, anyone have and Idea how the make these valves?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts