The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that i've got your attention, im having a little dispute with my tank. i have brown crap all over my sand and i can accualy see it get worse when i turn my lights on, they've been off for like 4 days now. im not sure what the brown stuff is but it looks like crap in the tank and is making me want to take a bat to it, but then feel remorseful. thanks to all.

·
Registered
434 Posts
How long has the tank been running? It sounds like a normal algae cycle. Do you have a clean up crew? I'll have a Hefeweitzen please. :lol:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
do you know if it is diatom algae or cyano?

if it acts like matts of slime, than it is cyano. have you been siphoning your detritus during water changes. :D

how old is the tank? if the tank is new than it could go away in a few weeks, but you need to keep up the siphoning of detritus every water change.

you should start siphoning this stuff up as often as you can.

G~

·
Administrator
46,678 Posts
Ya know teasing about beer is a bannable offense!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now that have you attention a little mre info about your reef housecleaning habits

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my tank is about a month old. no fish. 16lbs of LR. http://i66.photobucket.com thats my tank alright, with the lights off. im so tired of going through all this drama. i just want a brillant looking tank and i want lots of girlfriends. i've tried siphon ing the sand, but when i turn the lights off after i do so, they come right back out. i have no idea about diatoms, cyanos, or anything like that. if you want n e more pics, just ask, ill posr umm. just got a dig cam. FREE BEER

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i did that photobucket thing wrong, i dont quite no how to use it, if you familiar with it, give me a holla

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Under each pic in photobucket there are 3 boxes right click and highlight the last one Img then copy you can then paste the image in your thread
like this pic of my cleaner shrimp. PM me if you need further clarification

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
you all drive me nuts. :argh: why do you insist on using photobucket when TRT can host your images also. you can then link to the pics in the threads. that way later on if photobucket gets a hole in the bucket, the images will always be on TRT for future readers to see when you use the TRT photo gallery.

sounds like cyano. this is fairly common in the first 6 months of keeping a tank. one of the many cycles you will see during the maturing process of the tank. as long as you keep up the maintenance and run the skimmer wet it should go away in a few weeks. you do have a skimmer don't ya? do you have any cannister/wet/dry/HOB filters on the tank? if so get rid of them, they would be contributing to the nutrient levels for the cyano.

G~

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
OK, where's the beer?

BTW, Geoff
I use photobucket, just because it's easy for me to keep all my pics in 1 spot.

and now to my answer

increase the flow, it may seam like you have a bunch of flow right now, but you probably don't

then if that won't take care of it, or it's out of hand
"Chemi-Clean" is the miracle drug for cyano

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Dude! the free beer thing is not funny! when i clicked on the thread i thought i was going to get free BEER!! :mad: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: but will let it go this time! ;) Welcome to T.R.T. :wavey:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still confused on the photobucket thing. caant quite get it to work. am i putting the pic itself on the tread or the url. oo and is it safe to turn my lights back on if that brown still is growing( once i master this photobucket thing, i'll show you exactly vhat im talking about. rounders is the best movie eva.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. alright, now that i got that down....thats with the lights off, brow crap starting to grow on floor. if you need anouther angle, ;et me know. yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
434 Posts
Are you following the suggestions Geoff and others are giving you? You didn't say if you have a clean up crew in there. A clean up crew consists of things like hermit crabs, several species of snails, brittle stars, etc... Do you have any of these? They can help by eating some of the different algeas that grow, but you have to get to the bottom of the problem, which is too many nutrients in the tank. The filters Geoff was talking about would add to the problem if you have them. Are you using RO/DI water or tap water that you removed the clorine from? Tap water can have a lot of nutrients that feed the algae.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Did you, you know, dump the beer in your tank? Because that might cause a diatom outbreak. Also your tank isnt that old. I would say diatoms myself but dont hold that to me. Check for nitrates and what type of light are you using?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts