The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 871 Posts

· Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let may say Thank You to all of the TRT members/family that have helped me with advice since my time on here.
Now i hope i can give back a little info to any newbies and to the veterans, some laughs ( at my expense of course) for any mistakes i may make along this quick journey.

I purchased, about 1 1/2 years ago from a TRT member, a 210g Acrylic tank with total water volume of about 240g. Where i placed the tank, i thought at that time, was a prime spot....NOT...( this was determined by my wife after it was there for about a year) and of course she convinced me to agree with her, in other words told me to move it, LOL. So, i said no problem, but it will cost $, her responce, i dont care, move it....YES MAM..:thumbup:

Here as it sits now..

The tank will be moved to my office....

· Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will not be going a far distance with the tank as you can see, but i will be doing some overhauls on the system.

The cabinet will be redone with all new trim and paint, the inside of the cabinet will be sealed with rubberized paint.

I will be adding Overflow boxes

Using weld-on 4

I have a Reef Octopus NWB-200 Skimmer that has the old OTP pump on it, and will be upgrading that to a BB HY-3000.
Along with upgrading my return pumps to just one with a WB HY-7000

I love the look and feel of these pumps, they appear to me, to be built very well, we shall see.
And yes, the item between the 2 pumps you will see very often in my pics during this project,:beer:

· Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Acylic tank will also get a good wet sanding of 800 to 1500 to 2000 grit (this may change as i will be doing a test on spare piece of acrylic) and then a buffing of the 3 step Novus compounds

All the plumbing will be upgraded, and may be painted with black Krylon fusion to make it pop inside of a white cabinet.

90% of the substrate will be replaced with dry sand from Tropic Eden, 90lbs of Reef Flakes and 30 or 60lbs of Mini Reef Flakes.

I will save some of the old sand to seed the new.

I purchased some Aragsnow also, but decided to not use anything that fine of sand in the tank anymore. So i have a bag to sell, hint, hint..LOL

· Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm, oh ya, i also purchsed some DR from BRS ( Tonga ) and Marco Rock, 50lbs.
My aquascaping skills are limited by my brain waves being disturbed from Bud Light waves, so you may cut me down on how it turns out, LOL

Here are some pics of rock shipped...

There was maybe a half handfull of rubble, was very happy with shipment from Marco Rocks.

And some of my building.....

This is a small cave that i chiseled out,

A combination of drilling and installing 1/4" fiberglass rods and epoxy keeps rock together, sturdy mmmm a little bit, LOL

I will be including a good amount of my existing LR in the aquascaping creating some curves, peaks, and caves to the best of my abilities, while allowing a good amount of free swimming space.

· Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The project will commence on Friday of this week, well, it actually started 2 months ago with research and planning, LOL but physical work starts Friday.
I will do my best to update as often as possible w/ pics, as i know this is loved by TRT members and almost demanded, haha.
I hope that some good info/help will be provided to anyone interested and if all else fails, just enjoy it for what it is.

Thanks

· Underwater Demolitions
11,734 Posts
Ahhhh, very clever! I think moving the tank into another room must be as complicated as moving it to a new house. Except you don't have to drive so you can drink the entire time.

· Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have done a few tests on some spare Acrylic to get scratches out.
I have been successful with the scratches by using 800-1000-1500-2000 grit ( wet sanding ) sandpaper.
I have the Novus 3-2-1. The 3 is very good,but i am having trouble with the 2 bringing it back to complete clarity.
Once i dip it in water, it is clear , but i am not happy ( OCD ), sorry.

With some research i have found others using meguiars mirror glaze to be the best result. Any users out there of this?
I am only trying to remove super fine haze, i mean only visible at specific angles and light.
The only other item i am going to try besides different compound, is using a foam buffing wheel instead of a wool, i am thinking the wool may even be a little rough.
What do you all think?

· Underwater Demolitions
11,734 Posts
I used to use meguirs mirror glaze on the plastic window on my super-sweet 88 BMW 325ic. (Sadly it is dead now :( ) Yep, works like a charm. But it just didn't sound (or smell) reef safe.

Where are you putting your livestock while you buff your tank?

· Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not posted that pic yet. I have a 75g corner tank with 2 HOB filters on it. I bought it for this move and to upgrade my daughters turtle tank after the move.

I know, the meguairs does not sound right to me either, but thats what it seems a lot of tank restorers/movers use. I guess because it may be more readily available. I would think with several vinegar rinces with fresh water it would be ok, LOL , Hope.

Awww, what happened to the Beamer?

· Underwater Demolitions
11,734 Posts
Geoff, you might get more interest in your thread in GRD. I'd be happy to move it if you like.

As for "Fritz" he died a slow and natural death from chronic leakage, gasket deterioration and general mechanical decline. His beautiful body was picked up by an e3 collector who promised to bring Fritz back to life someday. I miss Fritz. He has been replaced by a souped-up 99 miata, but it's just not the same.

· Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah, i never really scan the "large tank" section, but "aha!" i now see your thread. ;)

when are you planning for the big move? started friday
any other upgrades and cash being thrown around? :nuts:
if you want to know cash, pm me, it will scare people away if i posted it out here, or if you think it will help people to know, i will need several people to ask about cost and then i will post it.

1 - 20 of 871 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.