The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question (kinda like how long does it take water to boil or for grass to grow, I know).

In your experience, how long does it take a tiny frag to get to a good size? Months/yrs? If your Ca levels are good, etc. Just wondering. I know it's a question that most probably will not know the answer to, but thought I'd try anyways. Just purchased a ton of frags and will be getting them on thur. I have hardly any corals and what I do have does excellent, so thought I would give this a go. Opinons on the frags would be great, too. Here's what I have coming (it's a lot but I got a nice deal I think)

1. 1 yuma green
2. 20 polyps pink zooanthus with blue center
3. 10 polyps green skirt blue center
4. 15 polyps blue/brown palys
5. 10 polyps green skirt blue circle zoas
6. 20 polyps peach zoa mix
7. 10 pink/yellow center zoa mix
8. 1 orange cauliflower
9. 1 favia
10. 25 polyps green skirts
11. 1 red/green speckled chalice frag
12. 1 black sun frag
13. 2 polyps acan lord
14. 2 and 2 halved of purple acan lord
15. 20 polyps pink/green skirt zoanthus
16. 10 polyps mauve green centers zoanthus
17. 2 head trumpet frag
18. 6 polyps green muschroom on rock
19. 1 red mushroom on rock
20. 1 blue florida ricordea
21. 1 orange blue rimmed florida ricordea
22. 2 polyps bullseye pink mushroom
23. 1 frogspawn purple tipe head frag
24. 1 red body red eye chalice frag
25. 1 black sun coral frag

Yikes, that's a ton I know. I have a TON of room though. Do you guys think I'm crazy? It was $100 for all shipped (ebay). Seller had a great rating so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm broke now and won't be purchasing anything for a LONG time.....

·
Registered
468 Posts
What is the ebay listing? I may have to partake too. btw, I think I have your cat's brother, he looks identical to your seal point.:D

·
Registered
468 Posts
That would be swell. Maybe I could swing by your place this week to check out your set-up?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ebay listing number: 7744348549, 7744349620. She combined the shipping for both to be $39.00 (instead of each) since I bought 2 of her 3 listings. That ended up being $112 (rounded to $100..sorry). Do you think this was a good deal? Just wondering what your thoughts were......

I know it's probably going to take FOREVER to get anything, but this was the only way I could afford to start having some corals. My orange ricordea is doing awesome, as well as purple mushrooms, xenia, and candy cane corals....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Based on the guy's positive feedback, you should be happy.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LiquidLunch said:
What is the ebay listing? I may have to partake too. btw, I think I have your cat's brother, he looks identical to your seal point.:D

That's awesome. I love my seal point. She's loud at times, but 14 years old and still doing well. Loves the bird too (shocking). She is getting a dental cleaning and crown amputation tomorrow, so wish her luck!

·
Registered
696 Posts
depending on the lighting and nutrients, I would say they would start to grow in about a month or 2. I use liquid calcium and coral accel. do water changes every week. how big is your tank? I use tropic marin reef for the salt

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Holy smokes!! :eek: What a list!!!

Ime, you should see significant growth in 6 months, but much depends on the type of coral.

Well done, girl!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just ordered Tropic Marin biocaclium 500gm and Ca tester. What is coral accelerator? I am using up my bag of Reef Crystals from IO and will be switching to Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt. Steve was supposed to purchase that last time, but instead bought this bag of salt. I do weekly water changes. Usually 5-10 gallons (how much should I be doing?). Tank is 75 gallons. Also ordered a product called Purple-up. Not sure if I should mix that or just use one or the other. I have a lot of Coraline, but lately growth has stopped. Figured I'm low on Ca and need to start supplementing that a little.

Thoughts on the above products?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts