The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why? I see lots of people place frags in their main tank- is it for grow out to another tank? I mean why place them on grating and not glue them down to a rock? Is there a reason for this?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Some people like to grow out the piece before they mount it. I have a small piece of egg crate in my tank for frags right now. I am going to set up a prop tank soon so its temporary. Sometimes people like to make frags and set them there so they can trade or give away. Lots of different reasons.

·
Super Moderator
22,090 Posts
I'm the same as Tony,,,,I have some eggcrate on suction cups , on the front glass of my reef tank,,,takes away from viewing the tank overall, but checking on the SPS frags are cool too,,,,
I've moved some frags that grew ,,and placed them in the tank display.
Plus i have too much other stuff in the display , that i worry about it affecting and damaging my SPS frags, so that, and the fact that i hope to upsize my 75 , to the 200 i have waiting in the garage, so for now most of my frags are on the eggcrate,,,,

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
It is very stressful to glue a frag down right after the shock of fragn the coral I like to wait 3 to 5 days after fragn to glue down.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, are you just laying the frags on the egg crates? Sorry, I'm just dumb to this! When they "grow-out" they are not attached to rock? Then when they've grown to the size you want you mount them of sell them...but doesn't this shock them all over again? Your changing their environment all over again, right? I mean when you replace them to a permanent home in the tank, the lighting and flow is different that where they were "grown-out" on the egg crate. Please understand I'm not questioning what anyone does, as I am very green here, just trying to understand. Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Yes anytime you mount them or frag them or glue them it stresses them,I just prefer to only stress them one time a day I have better success that way.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Wiskey said:
I have a small piece of egg crate glued to a mag float. When I get new frags I put them in the egg crate and stick the mag float down in the corner. I can move the whole rack up into higher and higher light to acclimate, once done I remove it.

Whiskey
Good idea, may try that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts