The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife informs me that at the next meeting some are going to be bringing frags
We have a giant piece of colt we would like to frag some off to bring.
If any body lives close to Loganville and would like to come supervise I have beer for payment:D
Because I have never fragged.

I know colt leather is very common but this piece is very feathery and looks great.:beer:

And to be honest it needs a hair cut badly!:funny:

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I have never actually fragged a colt since they drop off babies after a while. However there is a section in the Book of Coral Propagation that shows how to by Constricting. Using tie wraps, cable ties, rubber bands etc. Do it slowly though.

Ray

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Colts are very hardy and for that reason they are a good candidate for fragging. BUT....:) they are one of the more difficult to get to attach. The tissue is very tender and they seem to take forever to attach to a rock. The method that has worked best for me is to cut the coral about 3/8" below a fork in the branches. Find a rock that has a hole or deep depression and stick the cut end into the hole. Use a toothpick or rubberband to go across the fork and secure it to the rock. The rock should then be placed in a low flow area of the tank. ANY tension or pressure on the coral's tissue will cause it to tear. That's what makes this coral so difficult as a first frag candidate. It could take a month or two for it to attach so it's best to forget about it for a while.

Another method that I've had success with is to line the bottom of a small tupperware container with rubble and drop the frag in. Cover the top with bridal veil to keep it from escaping and put it in a low flow area of the tank.

Good luck.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.