The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Duncan with ~20 polyps. On the back side of the group, it appears new polyps are growing out of the stalks of the adult ones.

How does this coral spread, and does it ever attach to a touching rock?

TIA

·
originally original
975 Posts
If a stony coral is growing fast enough, it will attach to a rock it's in contact with. Duncans generally bud from sucessful heads like many other branching LPS corals. There are Duncans that will fully encrust on rocks and other bodies, but from what I understand, they are a rarity in our hobby.

One of the problems with fragging Duncans is the depth of the flesh inside the "stalk". The veins in Duncans run much deeper than other branching LPS corals I've fragged. If you do significant damage to the flesh inside the stalk, you may end up with very poor survivability of your frags. My Duncans have flesh past 1.5" from the head, inside the stalk.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...There is no skeleton that I can see......not like on my hammer coral that has tree trunk like skeletons. I've got different Trumpets that also grow on a skeleton.

This Duncan appears to be fleshy all the way to the frag plug that it was placed on before I bought it from a private RKer. I love this coral!!

Now I'm confused.....

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Hmmm...There is no skeleton that I can see......not like on my hammer coral that has tree trunk like skeletons. I've got different Trumpets that also grow on a skeleton.

This Duncan appears to be fleshy all the way to the frag plug that it was placed on before I bought it from a private RKer. I love this coral!!

Now I'm confused.....

Dave
Sounds like it may be too soon to frag it then, without losing a few heads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts