The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too sure if there has ever been a post on this, but I just read 110galreef's thread on fraging and thought I would put a question out to everyone.

I have a couple of brain corals that are getting pretty big and I would like to frag them. What tools do all you experienced fragers prefer and what is a good procedure to carry this out??? I am sure like everything else there must be more than one method and some different opinions...so lets hear em. :thumbup:

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
For large LPS you may want to use a tile saw... aka a wet saw. I watched Eric Borneman do a demo on this tecnhique... it was a bit intimidating but it worked like a charm.

HTH

Jenn

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Not sure which thread you saw but I put a detailed process in the LPS forum! The one in this forum was generic for all the frags I did. There is also one on my bubble coral frag. I will get the other LPS as well in there!

a dremel and cutoff wheel worked great. This was a much easier and less scary adventure than I thought!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Twitterbait said:
what kind of brains?
Open brains Trachophylia. sp????

Anyway, after cutting through the skeleton do you use the dremel on the polyp or a scalpule? Do you need to treat the polyp with anything afterwards?? When is the best time to do the procedure? What I mean is should he be put back in the tank with light on or at night with lights off?

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
for an open brain the process is more like a bubble coral than. (I did one of those as well in LPS forum) I also did a echinophillia which is very close to and open brain.....I will post there as well!

You just cut the skeletal base, crack it and leave the soft fleshy tissue together, don't cut it!! Allow the tissue to separate by itself. slowly over the course of a week or so, slowly move the two halves furthur apart until the flesh splits like a cell!

No need to treat w/ anything. Feedings may help a day or two afterwards! I put mine back in with lights on and had no issues!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Dagrape said:
Awsome, thanks for the help. Hopefully I will do this on the weekend and have spme pics for nexy week.
:agree: :beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts