The Reef Tank banner
232 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mdemagalski 
#1 ·
I was just curious to know how to frag. Where can I go to read on how to do this? Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

#4 ·
there is a book by anthony calfo which i have been unable to track down here in portland so far (might have to mail order it) which has been described to me as the bible of fragging. it is called aquarium coral propigation and gardening or some such. you can do a search for anthony calfo and will get a couple hits with reviews and pop ups to buy it. the techniques vary drastically depending on what type of coral you are working with, but the general method is to break off or cut off a piece of the main colony, then it is attatched to a new piece of rock or rubble, and it is then given time to grow out and permanently attatch its self to the new home. attatchment can be done with superglue, a needle and thread, toothpicks, fishing line, netting.... all kinds of stuff, and cuttings can be taken with a dremel, shears, scalpel, xacto knife, etc.

for more specific details you can search for fragging techniques for a specific species, or reference a book like the one listed above. i frag a lot of soft corals and have inadvertently fragged a few hard corals... as long as your water conditions and setup are conducive to coral growth, almost all coral colonies can be fragged in one way or another.

good luck!

ryan

#5 ·
Krux is right.
I used the method Break, cut, glue and tie. That's all to it. Corals are hard to keep due to lighting and water quality requirment, but it's hard to kill once it's adapt to your tank. When you did it once, you are just about wanting to frag anything. Just ask Chewie, he's even wanting to frag his $100 dollar bill :D :D :D

#7 ·
rick is gonna have to start lowering his prices on that soon, now that it is 3 times what you can get it for elsewhere in town. now if only we can find that pink ricordea for prices like that the world would be perfect.

on a side note, if you want to find a day that is convenient to come over to my pad i can give you a mini fragging class of sorts from different stuff in my tank. i am no expert, but pretty much everything in my tank has been fragged at least once.

which brings me to my next project: anyone know how to frag a clam? :p

#9 ·
ok..just what comes to mind qwikly

zoanthids you can cut, split, chisel, whatever. Just do what you can to minimize tisue damage. Only wholy polyps tend to recover.

Corallimorpharians(shrooms: just cut, slice, into pieces ands put into low current for the pieces to attach to gravel. use scisors, razor blade, whateva works

LPS - leave alone for now unless it's obviously fraggable like branching or shape lends itself to fraggin

SPS - just snap, break, clip, prune, with scissors, sidecutters, needlnose plyers, whateva works. and glue to base for grow-out.

that's about it. Just dive in. Don't think of it as animal surgery. think of it as plant pruning.:) good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.