The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright,

Since everyone got at least a small sample, please post some of your initial impressions. We need to get some honest reviews on the likes, dislikes, any side effects, basically anything. Please do not hesitate to post a negative feedback as this will be for the benefit of the club and the manufacturers.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will start. The ceramic and fragpods (pvc plugs) are my new favorites. The main benefit for me is not having to "cure" the plugs before mounting. Keep in mind that I like all of the plugs.

My only concern with the cermamic plugs is that for some reason they seem to be a diatom magnet in my tank.

My concern with the pvc plugs is with the size, but I can live with that since superglue bonds instantly with pvc :)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I was moving a couple of rocks in the 120g today to get at an anemone the clown had tucked in the dark. I had an unmounted scroll coral that needed a support to hold it up while I moved the rock and then wedged it back in place so I grabbed 1 of the donuts. As soon as it hit the SW (I had given it a quick rinse in RO first) it started spewing white powdery stuff into the water column. Is this normal for ceramic? Just curious.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just started using the plugs yesterday evening. I haven't used the PVC plugs yet (have two of them to try). For now, I like the ceramic plugs best. Time will tell if they begin to cover with diatoms.

Are these available locally (in JAX/OP)?

Besides having a concern with raising the PH, I liked the boston aqua farm plugs too. Adding a small number at a time doesn't affect the PH in my 180.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ladyreefneck,

I would think the white powder is just ceramic dust. I doubt it would cause a problem.

ScubaTC,

The ceramic plugs are not available locally, but can be ordered from www.thefilterguys.biz

I agree with boston aquafarms plugs as they are the standard. I normally add 8-10 at a time and have no problem with ph.

·
Registered
170 Posts
As soon as it hit the SW (I had given it a quick rinse in RO first) it started spewing white powdery stuff into the water column. Is this normal for ceramic? Just curious.

Are you sure it wasn't air escaping from the donut? I have been using these things for close to two years now and never had any powdery stuff coming from it. In fact when I put them in my tank it looks like I dropped an alka seltzer in. That is air escaping. These things are very pourous. To avoid this(which has never been a problem) just drop it in the tank for a minute until it soaks up water, pull it out and mount the coral. I mount my frags with the dry donut and wet ones and have not had issues either way.

As for the diatoms. The material is a very clean surface. If you have trouble algae in your tank and it finds it before the coral encrusts it or coraline grows over it it will develope a film. I highly doubt any plug is imune to this. I have had plugs start to show coralline in as little as two weeks. I will take some pics when I have time.

Gooch

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Gooch for your imput! I wish you the best on your plugs and products in the works. Please don't be a stranger :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here is a few pics of donuts and frag stations that have been in one of my tanks for awhile. I am uploading some pics I took tonight from my new donut tank. It is going real slow. SO I thought I would put these up while I had time.

·
Rob's Reef Owner
395 Posts
I like the BAF plugs. We've used a few thousand, and have added 250 at a time to a 250G tank without problems with pH.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've noticed some of the plugs seem to easily rock to the side a little in the eggcrate. The underside of these are not completely flat. It curves were the "stub" meets the underside. The curve causes the plug to not sit fully flush into the eggcrate. One of my frags on this type of plug was leaning over and touching another frag when I got home today! Luckily the frags appear to be ok.

Not sure who makes these from the samples that were given out. These aren't the BAF plugs are they -or- are some randomly made this way?

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The samples with the curved "stem" are from www.oceanswondersonline.com They are the bright white agrocrete plugs.

Boston aquafarms plugs have been my staple plug for quite some time. Never had a problem other than they can be fragile sometimes.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have tried all and this what I think.

I do not like the plastic mounts.

The ceramic with the natural mounts are great if you do not have egg crate or you want to set them in your live rock. The super gel sets faster here.

I love the Boston type. Fits in egg crate and is easy to break off the frag when ready to mount.

I agree that the dust from the cermaic material looks like tiny bubbles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Using FragPods

Hello, I am the manufacturer of FragPods. Paul Diamond ask me to leave a message on this thread about the FragPods. I have read the feedbacks about the different plugs your society is trying out. FragPods work best on 1/2" thick egg crate. When you mount a FragPod onto 1/2" egg crate, it is flush with the bottom which makes it much more stable. You can also pre-drill 1/2" holes in your live rock for placement of your coral and Fragpod. Another idea is to place them right into the gravel bed.
Since the FragPods are made out of PVC, you do not have to cure them; they are ready to use and will not break during shipping. You can add as many as you would like to your aquarium at a time since they will have no effect on the visibility or levels of the water. FragPods are very strong and do not break under normal use. They also do not have a time frame in which they must be used by.
The more you use FragPods the more you will see all of their features.
Thank you for trying them out and for your feedback.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the post. I have some frags mounted to all but the oceans wonders plugs, so hopefully I will have some results on them as far as encrusting soon.

Paul

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For the next meeting, Coral Cradle has sent us 100 of their mounts. We have 50 clear and 50 white pvc plugs to try. For those who have softies to mount, the coral cradles look like they have an edge on the other plugs for that purpose as they have 4 hooks to use for "banding" corals such as xenia and nepthia.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts