The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over night my foxface has gone from health to almost dead??? The only change is I did clean my sump because it was nasty and had a thick film from when my wife dumped all the kalkwasser into the tank over a month ago. I tested my water and I have seen an increase in nitrate and nitrites but it was like that before I cleaned the sump. I figured because I over fed over the weekend.

PH - 8.4
Amm - 0
Ca - 440
Alk - 3.20
KH - 9.0
Nitrates 10
nitrites .01
Pho - 0
salt 1.025
temp 79.0

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
was the pump on when you were cleaning your sump, could it be that the stuff you were cleaning got into your display and sorta overdosed the foxface?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
are there other fish in the system? how are they doing? is the foxface the biggest fish in the system?

your parameters do not scream anything outrageous to me. alk may be a bit low, but the foxface could not care less about that.

how is it behaving? describe why you think it is not doing well.

G~

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My pump was turnd off and no mess went into the tank.

All my other fish are fine and look well. The foxface is the largest in the tank and I only have a hawkfish, tomato clown and a goby, and a cleaning crew with a brittle star and a star fish.

The foxface has lost all it color and is on the bottom of the tank and leaning on the glass side and next to a rock. He has never done that before and he is breathing but has not moved in over an hour.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen him loose color at night but I never seen him just lie there and not move. Maybe it something new he is trying. The lights were on when I noticed him after work at 6PM and he moved very little but still on the bottom of the tank and since my light turned off he has been in the bottom between the rock and glass. I'll keep you posted.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
the same thing happened to a royal gramma i was quarantining. Leaning against the glass breathing but not moving much. it happend about twice over a 2week period, and it happend right after some maintanence too. But sadly the 2nd time this happened he died.....hopefully this doesnt happen but just giving you some info. And when my fox face goes to sleep he is still very aware of his soroundings and sometimes moves from place to place so i doubt yours is going to bed......could it be something stressed him out very badly?

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Bill, how is the foxface today? I had one that I swear was retarded, he would turn dark brown/blotchy and sit in the bottom of the tank right before lights out. I had him for 6 years and finally took him back to the LFS for corals.

Let us know -

HHC

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well as of today he is missing in action :cry: I've looked all over for him and nothing...I even took a flashlight to the tank to get a glimps and nothing. I will keep looking but I fear the worst...:bawling:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts