The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, new here. Not sure if this is posted in the right area, so bear with me.

I have set up a 30gal tank. So far there is only water and 25lbs of LR. I am still in a debate about whether or not I should go bare bottom or not. Can someone tell what the advantages and disadvantages of keeping a bare bottom tank? Also, not interested in corals, been there, done that (unsuccessfully).

The tank is still in the process of cycling and haven't hit the ammonia spike yet, so a fair way to go still. I am wondering on stocking ideas. I want fish that will be active during the day, as I do not plan on buying and more LR. So far I have come up with a few ideas:

1. -Pair of Clownfish (Ocellaris or Tomato)
-Flame Angel

2. -Pair of Clownfish
-Long Nose Hawkfish
-Royal Gramma Basslet

3. -Pair of Clownfish
-Long Nose Hawkfish
-Green Reef Chromis

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
www.liveaquaria.com is the best place to research any fish you're interested in. The flame angel will need a tank more than twice your size, so I'd cut him from the list. If you do the tomato clowns, I'd stick to something like a bottom dwelling goby (such as a yellow watchman) and that's it, because cause they can get really aggressive and territorial. Ocellaris can be territorial as well, especially a pair, but they're usually not as aggressive about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for that. I suspected that the Flame Angel would need a bigger tank. I think I will go for the Ocellaris Clowns, as I have read, and you have told me, that they are a little less aggressive than the Tomato Clowns.

So now would you suggest to go with the Ocellaris Clown Pair. I really like the Long Nose Hawkfish. Also would you suggest a bare bottom tank or a shallow sand bed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I don't think having the hawk in there with the O. clowns would be a problem. Just know that shrimp will be off your stocking list with the hawk. Barebottom or sand is a personal preference. BB is easier to keep clean, but I like the look of sand - just make sure to syphon it regularly. BB is really good for those that are looking to have an SPS system because it's easier to keep clean and keeps nutrient levels low. For a FOWLR system you don't have that worry.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I like my BB. Easy to clean. I just painted the bottom of the tank with a tan paint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I am interested in having a cleaner shrimp, so any hawkfish that can go with shrimps? If not, can you give some suggestions the go with the O. Clowns?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have an 1 Ocellaris clown, a Midas Blenny and a Coral Beauty Angel in my 29 gallon reef tank and they all play nice together.

You might also want to check out a Pygmy Angel if you want Angelfish.

I stuck with one clown to limit it's aggressiveness as I heard a pair can get more aggressive, especially when they are mating.

Midas Blenny is really cool. Really active, nice color and he totally hangs by the glass with me when I walk up to the tank.

I started out with sand and then removed all of it after a few months in. I liked the idea of not having to worry about siphoning it out and having it build up to a waste dump. Much easier to clean now. Waste builds up in one corner of the tank and I just drop my siphon in that spot and I am good. Having a smaller sized tank things can go sour much quicker so limiting things that can have a negative effect on it to me is worth it more then having some sand to look pretty.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I definitely wouldn't put any kind of Angel in a 30g. That's just asking for illness and aggression. I have a pygmy in my 55 and he's all over it 100x a day, I think he needs a bigger tank and he's a lot smaller than a coral beauty. And he's got attitude, I can pretty much guarantee that if I tried to stuff him in a 30 he'd kill anything else in there with him.

Unfortunately, no shrimp are safe with hawkfish. :( I feel your pain, I'd love to have a flame hawk but love my fire shrimp too much. What about a basslet, like a blackcap or royal gramma? Or a blenny - my tailspot has tons of character! Lots of goby choices as well. Or some kind of dartfish? Or a sixline wrasse? Lots of options!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I definitely wouldn't put any kind of Angel in a 30g. That's just asking for illness and aggression. I have a pygmy in my 55 and he's all over it 100x a day, I think he needs a bigger tank and he's a lot smaller than a coral beauty. And he's got attitude, I can pretty much guarantee that if I tried to stuff him in a 30 he'd kill anything else in there with him.

Unfortunately, no shrimp are safe with hawkfish. :( I feel your pain, I'd love to have a flame hawk but love my fire shrimp too much. What about a basslet, like a blackcap or royal gramma? Or a blenny - my tailspot has tons of character! Lots of goby choices as well. Or some kind of dartfish? Or a sixline wrasse? Lots of options!
I had my Angel for about 7 months now and he shows no signs of illness or aggression. I added my Midas Blenny in after the angel was already established in the tank and he never bothered him at all.

There is a lot of different reccomendations on tank size for dwarf angels. Also, Live Aquaria used to list 30 gallons for a Coral Beauty so while things might have changed in their decision in can be done safely.

Now you want to talk about an aggressive fish, a sixline would be your star of the show. Also, need to make sure you tank is covered well with wrasses.

My recommendation though is still a Midas Blenny. Unlike other blennies, they eat meaty foods and easily accept prepared foods. Lots of blennies are herbivores and sometimes can be a problem accepting other foods so you need to have anough algae in your tank to keep them alive. I had a Lawnmower Blenny who starved himself because he would not eat anything I fed it.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I had my Angel for about 7 months now and he shows no signs of illness or aggression. I added my Midas Blenny in after the angel was already established in the tank and he never bothered him at all.

There is a lot of different reccomendations on tank size for dwarf angels. Also, Live Aquaria used to list 30 gallons for a Coral Beauty so while things might have changed in their decision in can be done safely.

Now you want to talk about an aggressive fish, a sixline would be your star of the show. Also, need to make sure you tank is covered well with wrasses.

My recommendation though is still a Midas Blenny. Unlike other blennies, they eat meaty foods and easily accept prepared foods. Lots of blennies are herbivores and sometimes can be a problem accepting other foods so you need to have anough algae in your tank to keep them alive. I had a Lawnmower Blenny who starved himself because he would not eat anything I fed it.
Going by what "used to" be recommended is silly reasoning. They obviously changed it for a reason, they didn't just arbitrarily decide 70 was a better number one day. The good thing about Live Aquaria is they have the benefit of customer feedback. If they raised the minimum tank size then it's probably because they were getting too many complaints about behavior or sickness or deaths. I'm glad you haven't had any issues with yours, but it's not something I'd go around recommending to others based on a single experience of seven months over a group of experts with the feedback of thousands.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Going by what "used to" be recommended is silly reasoning. They obviously changed it for a reason, they didn't just arbitrarily decide 70 was a better number one day. The good thing about Live Aquaria is they have the benefit of customer feedback. If they raised the minimum tank size then it's probably because they were getting too many complaints about behavior or sickness or deaths. I'm glad you haven't had any issues with yours, but it's not something I'd go around recommending to others based on a single experience of seven months over a group of experts with the feedback of thousands.
I take different websites into consideration, not just one.

http://www.reefs2go.com/product/F-A...-Beaty-Agelfish-Dwarf-AngelsBeauty-Angel.html

http://www.reefs2go.com/product/F-A...-Beaty-Agelfish-Dwarf-AngelsBeauty-Angel.html

http://www.petco.com/product/102922/Coral-Beauty-Angel.aspxaspx

I am not trying to argue with you, and it's not like trying to put a 1ft fish in a 29 gallon tank, I am speaking from my personal experience and you can read about other successful experiences of keeping dwarf angels in smaller tanks.

I know I do read a lot about six line wrasses being very aggressive so is that really a good choice in a 29g tank even if it is listed as a minimum size on a website.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Reefs2go and petco both have horrible reputations. And I'm not saying it's not possible, just that the odds are against the fish living a healthy, long life. I personally don't feel comfortable recommending something with such potential too go badly to a new reefer looking for stocking suggestions. As for the sixline, I wouldn't recommend one if the OP had mentioned any peaceful or timid fish, but with a pair of clowns as it's only other tankmates it would likely be fine.

·
Reef Junkie
1,544 Posts
Can we not use petco as an animal care source? They don't even belong in the same universe. As already stated - those two sources are terrible ones to go by.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I like option #2. I have a flame hawk with peppermints and it doesn't bother them but it may go after hermits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts