The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I also just found a bristle worm coming out of that same piece rock where the baby shrimp came from. There sure is alot of life in that place!!! Do you guys think I should take the rock out and dip it fresh water?? Just in case these things are harmful to the corals I plan on getting in the future!!

Steve

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bristle worms (at least ones smaller than a couple of feet :)) are a good thing. I paid a bunch of change to an online vendor to get some to make sure I had worms in my DSB - so don't kill the poor thing :funny:

Sounds like you got really "live" live rock and should be thrilled.

K.M.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Bristle worms are a very important part of your infauna(clean-up critters). If you have a fish, invert, etc. die and you don't see it or find it the bristle worms and other critters will make short work of it and keep your water quality good.
I am always happy to see my bristle worms from time to time! I have never had them harm my corals or clams to this point anyways!:)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I just bought a rock with a single mushroom on it the other day at the LFS, and when the employee picked it up it had a couple of bristle worms on the bottom... he was going to take them off, and looked at me like I was a freak when I told him that I wanted them. :D
I think the only times bristle worms can be a pain in the behind is when you're trying to move something in the tank and end up grabbing a bristleworm (ouch).
Otherwise, they're great creatures to have.

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
SteveJess2000 said:

Do you guys think I should take the rock out and dip it fresh water??
Heck no - that's the good stuff you want! As others have posted, people pay good money for those worms. All the stuff crawling out of the rock will seed the tank and make the whole thing live. :) Creepy crawlies in a reef are definitely good - the more worms, pods, and "bugs" you have, the more diverse your system will be. (It's a totally different type of thinking, but you'll catch on quickly.)

And no, they won't harm your corals at all.

Danielle

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone!!!! I am soooo amazed with just the live rock!! I actually was caught by my wife staring at the tank for two hours with my feet up on a bucket. She called me a freak!!! This is soooooo awsome......so I guess a kinda got a deal for 5.99/lb?

Steve

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
$5.99 a pound is going rate for Premium rock... Seems like your purchase is what it was supposed to be... :)

It just sucks when ya buy rock at premium price and it's more like dead rock...

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
lol dont worry steve, you arent alone. i sometimes sit here at the computer and turn to stare at the tank, then suddenly realize a few hours have passed!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey - my kids both told me this week that I love the new tank more than them and that why didn't I just have "fish" instead of kids....hmmmmmwhat a concept....naaaa - I explained that of course that was silly - but I have to admit - watching a bunch of live rock is better than any tv show I've ever seen. (And what is wrong with bologna sandwiches a few nights in a row anyway.....)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
We go with toast with peanut butter and banana and lots of pasta!!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts