The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a new creature today in my tank, I was just about to take a picture and the dottieback drove him back in the hole!! I know its a shrimp but I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me what kind it is without a picture. He/she is about 1 inch long long and totaly transparent, I mean totaly. He was pushing what seemed to be a round opject with him? And was afraid of the dottieback.

Anyone help me?? I hope its not a mantis!!

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I feared!!! Will this kill my fish and crabs and stuff??? Lucky me!! Just started reefin and I have a Mantis!! How do get rid of it. I guess I also have to watch when I am putting my hands in too!!

DERM

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
To make a proper ID, we'll need to see a pic of it...

How big was it?

And yes, Mantis shrimp kill crabs and snails... That's what they eat...

·
Registered
658 Posts
If it's the slasher variety of Mantis they'll prey on fish as well... (or your finger if it gets too close). Scuba Divers don't call them 'thumbsplitters' for nothing... :D
Keep in mind that you're only seeing six of the Mantis' legs... there's also the front predatory 'pincers' and pleopods (the 'swimmer' legs under the abdomen). I think there's also two more sets of legs that aren't visible. When all are visible the Mantis looks almost like a centipede (at least mine did).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.