The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so theres a restaurant i go to that sells there 5 gallon buckets that food comes in. they sell them for 2$ with a lid. and there the lids with the gaskets, so i had to buy some if they were that cheap. well the two buckets i got were dill pickle buckets. and they reek of vinegar, i am very worried to use this in my tank with out proper cleaning, i cleaned it with a heavy soap, that did not work, im now thinking bleach. or maybe some sulfuric acid, i just happen to have a few gallons of the stuff :dance:. what your input, im thinking bleach first.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
They are fine to use with just a rinse, such a small amount of vinegar isn't going to hurt your tank.

Don't use any soap, that is worse for your tank than any trace amounts of vinegar.

I'd fill it with water and then a capfull or two of bleach if you want to remove the vinegar smell.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, well i made sure to rinse it very very well, i was not going to fill the hole bucket with bleach, like u said 1 or 2 cap fulls, how ever it smells so bad, when i open it my hole room will smell with in 20 seconds. so i may just bleach it, or maybe leave water in it for a few days see if that helps.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
For just a couple dollars more you can buy orange 5 gal buckets at home depot, and they are new, so no worries

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
I'd only use it for old water.Like helenwheels said,at HomeDepot has white or orange 5 gallon bucket with lid and gasket.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you've got good RO/DI water, just put it in there with the lid sealed and give it some time. Pure RO/DI water is a cleaning agent itself and it will do a lot to draw the vinegar smell out. It's only a smell though, the only thing vinegar might do is lower your PH a bit. Very harmless.

If you go the bleach route you may just want to consider getting some tap water conditioner since it neutralizes bleach to use with your water before adding it just to be safe. The conditioner (can be gotten at walmart for cheap) will also give a stress coat and a bio-magnet for making the water clear up quickly, so it's not too bad. Just remember it may cause your skimmer to go insane.

At any rate, to me saving over 50% is worth the effort. Middle class people don't understand what it's like to have only $1,100 in monthly bills yet only bring home $1,500 and the rest is for food, gas, hobbies, etc. Based on actual figures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts