The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Reef Society Duluth/Mpls
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the information on the Foster & Smith Greater Minnesota Reef Society Duluth Frag Swap August 6 & 7 in Rhinelander Wisconsin. I will be at the meeting Saturday for anyone interested in pre-registering or you can PM me. It is limited to the first 200 people signing up and will go on sale to the general public May 2nd on Reef Central.

Fahz

Greater Minnesota Reef Society and
Drs. Foster and Smith’s First Annual Frag Swap

Packages

"Helping to Protect our Coral Reefs One Frag at a Time"

General Admission for Guests who do not bring Frags

Package 1- All Inclusive Package with banquet Dinner for general guests: $20.00 per person - Cut off time will be July 5<SUP>th </SUP>or until banquet is full. (200 person limit to the banquet)
  • Admission to the Frag Swap
  • One Styrofoam Shipping Box
  • Three raffle tickets
  • Gift bag
    • Foster & Smith T-Shirt
    • Sample products
    • 10% off coupon to our Retail Store
  • Lunch on Saturday, August 6th
  • Admission to all the speaker sessions on August 6<SUP>th</SUP> including the Keynote Speaker
  • Banquet dinner Saturday, August 6<SUP>th</SUP>.
  • Continental breakfast Sunday, August 7<SUP>th</SUP>
  • Admission to guided tour of our warehouse and aquaculture facility.
Package 2- Basic Package for general guests:$5 per person – Cut off time will be August 3<SUP>rd</SUP>. Then charge will be $10 at the door.

• Three raffle tickets
  • Gift bag
    • Foster & Smith T-Shirt
    • Sample products

• Lunch on Saturday, August 6<SUP>th</SUP>
  • Continental breakfast on Sunday, August 7<SUP>th
  • </SUP>
Package 3- Banquet Only Package for general guests:$15 per person – Cut off time will be July 5<SUP>th</SUP> or until full. (200 person limit)
  • Admission to the banquet dinner and all the speakers.
General Admission for Guests Who Will Trade/Sell Coral Frags

Package 4- All Inclusive Package for Traders with Banquet Dinner$30 per person – Cut off time will be July 5<SUP>th</SUP> or until full (24 tables available and 200 person limit for banquet).
  • Includes a 6’ space at a table with electricity
  • One 10-gallon display aquarium
    • Egg crate grid for frag display
    • Power Filter with Mechanical and Carbon filtration
    • Fluorescent Light
    • 25 poly bags with rubber bands
    • Premixed RO/Reef Crystals Saltwater at 1.025 salinity
  • Three raffle tickets
  • Gift bag
    • Foster & Smith T-Shirt
    • Sample products
  • Lunch on Saturday, August 6th
  • Admission to all the speaker sessions on August 6<SUP>th</SUP> including the Keynote Speaker
  • Banquet dinner Saturday August 6<SUP>th</SUP>. (Including keynote speaker presentation)
  • Continental breakfast Sunday August 7<SUP>th</SUP>
Package 5- Basic Package for Traders$15 per person (24 tables available)

• Includes a 6’ space at a table with electricity
  • One 10-gallon display aquarium to keep
    • With egg crate grid for frag display
    • Power Filter with Mechanical and Carbon filtration
    • Fluorescent Light
    • 25 poly bags and rubber bands
    • Premixed RO/Reef Crystals Saltwater at 1.025

• Three raffle tickets
  • Gift bag
    • Foster & Smith T Shirt
    • Sample products

• Lunch on Saturday, August 6<SUP>th</SUP>
  • Continental breakfast on Sunday August 7<SUP>th</SUP>

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
How are people supposed to go, aquire frags, see everything, attend things w/o things dying, especially if they have a large drive ahead of that?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Skipponator said:
How are people supposed to go, aquire frags, see everything, attend things w/o things dying, especially if they have a large drive ahead of that?
Amen brother.

Fahz, I'll talk to you Sat. I'm in.

·
Reef Society Duluth/Mpls
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dirk griffin said:
Hi Jim, who is speaking and any motel info? Have they done these before? Sounds like a road trip.
Hi Dirk, The keynote speaker will be Julian Sprung, the other two speakers have not been confirmed as of Monday. Foster & Smith has never done this before. I presented the idea to them last fall, and we have been working on it since. Kevin Kohen from Liveaquarias and his assistant went to the Cleveland frag swap in March to get a feel for what is needed to be sucessful. Foster & Smith is spending a lot of time and money on this. A banner ad and forum thread will be started on May 2nd on Reef Central but our club is doing some pre-selling to make sure those who want tickets get them. I am the only one selling tickets right now and sold a dozen the first day.

There is a block of rooms set aside at the Holiday Express, Best Western, and AmericInn in Rhinelander. Transportation will be provided from the hotels to the speakers and dinner. The three raffle tickets are for a complete 125 gallon reef ready tank delivered to your door. We will also be conducting a club fund raiser raffle Saturday which should have a lot of neat items in it.

Jim

·
Reef Society Duluth/Mpls
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Skipponator said:
Skip, your ticket includes a styrofoam box and they will provide warm pre-mixed saltwater SG 1.025 at the swap. They will also oxygen pack your frags for you. It should be no different then shipping except it you job to keep them warm or cool as needed. Frags should be able to go a day and a half or more with no problem.

Jim

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Fahz, can you give a brief explanation of how the swap works? Do people bring nice stuff? How do you know who's got what? Is it better to go and just buy? I'd hate to bring some nicer stuff and be stuck...

·
Reef Society Duluth/Mpls
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tico mike said:
Fahz, can you give a brief explanation of how the swap works? Do people bring nice stuff? How do you know who's got what? Is it better to go and just buy? I'd hate to bring some nicer stuff and be stuck...
From other frag swaps I have followed online alot of the frags are traded or sold through the forum thread before hand. I have only attended one small swap and had about 30 frags, all but 4 were sold in the first 30 minutes. I used pint and 1/2 pint deli containers and the xenia's were pulsing and the polyps were open and my frags looked really good.

Once the RC thread is open and we get closer to the swap, things should heat up. It's really not much different from how our meetings go now except a guy can true a lot of cash in a hurry.

Jim

·
Reef Society Duluth/Mpls
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guest Speakers

Julian Sprung

<TABLE height=483 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="97%">Julian Sprung is a biologist, author, photographer, aquarium design consultant, and a partner in the aquarium industry manufacturing and publishing company, Two Little Fishies, Inc. Julian graduated from the University of Florida with a Bachelor of Science degree in Zoology in 1988. Since 1988 he has written the column "Reef Notes" in Freshwater and Marine Aquarium magazine, and he was Science Editor from 1993 to 1995 for Aquarium Frontiers.

In 1991 Julian wrote and narrated the video, An Introduction to The Hobby of Reef Keeping , which was the first product of Two Little Fishies, Inc, the company he formed with Daniel Ramirez. Two Little Fishies now publishes books and CD ROM'S, and manufactures a variety of popular aquarium products and foods for fishes and invertebrates.

Julian's Reef Notes, Revisited and Revised , is a compilation of "Reef Notes" question and answer columns plus additional notes pointing out changes of opinion or errors.

Two Little Fishies' Oceanographic Series guides include Julian's Corals: A Quick Reference Guide , Invertebrates: A Quick Reference Guide , and Julian's latest book, Algae: A Problem Solver Guide .

</TD><TD vAlign=top width="1%"></TD><TD vAlign=top width="2%">

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=125>A common theme in Julian's approach to aquarium keeping is to study the living ecosystem while keeping the technical support system simple. By promoting this philosophy he intends to increase the enjoyment of the hobby and attract those who might otherwise be deterred by the cost and complexity of "high-tech" aquariums.

Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec

Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec is the Chief Science Officer of Marineland. After studying limnology at Uppsala University in Sweden, Dr. Hovanec graduated from San Diego State University with a B.S. in Biology and a M.S. in Biology.

Dr. Hovanec earned his Ph.D. in Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he investigated the phylogenetics of nitrifying bacteria in aquaria and Mono Lake, California. Dr. Hovanec was the first to demonstrate that bacteria of the phylum Nitrospira were the active nitrite-oxidizing bacteria in aquatic systems such as aquaria. His work on nitrifying bacteria has lead to the discovery of many new species of nitrifying bacteria in freshwater and saltwater systems and the granting of several U.S. and foreign patents, with additional patents pending. He has also conducted much research on topics such as ammonia excretion and toxicity in aquatic organisms, bio-filtration systems design, and fish feed formulations.

At Marineland, Dr. Hovanec is in charge of the biology, chemistry and microbial ecology laboratories that comprise Marineland Labs. He is also responsible for overseeing the quality control of such products as Instant Ocean® sea salt and BioSpira® nitrifying bacteria.

Dr. Hovanec has authored numerous scientific papers in aquatic microbial ecology, and in public aquaria and aquaculture fields, and he writes popular articles on tropical fish for several magazines (many of which can be found at www.marinelandlabs.com). He has been an invited speaker and contributing author at several domestic and international conferences. He is the editor of SeaScope® magazine and a member of many scientific organizations. His past positions include a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer in the Philippines, university research assistant, biologist and manager at an intensive striped bass aquaculture facility and consultant on various aquaculture projects

The third speaker is Andy from Icecap Ballast and I don't have a bio on him at this time.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Times:

Fahz,

I wan't to go, but would like to do it all in one day. Rhinelander is about 4 hours from Hudson, I may leave early Saturday morning, and return late Saturday evening. What are the times of the Frag swap, tour of the aquaculture facility, and F&S store hours?

What package would I wan't to buy?

Thanks.

·
Reef Society Duluth/Mpls
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the_colonel said:
Fahz,

I wan't to go, but would like to do it all in one day. Rhinelander is about 4 hours from Hudson, I may leave early Saturday morning, and return late Saturday evening. What are the times of the Frag swap, tour of the aquaculture facility, and F&S store hours?

What package would I wan't to buy?

Thanks.
The frag swap is Saturday 9 AM to 2 PM with raffle drawing at the end must be present to win, or your ticket must be.
Store hours 9 AM to 6PM Saturday 9AM to 2PM Sunday, best fish and inverts selection will be earily. You can order on line or by 800# for store pickup on drygoods it's catolog prices plus state tax. The aquaculture and warehouse tours will be on Sunday 9AM to 11:30. If you want to do some frag selling with table space it $15 includes a 10 gallon tank, light and pump and saltwater which is yours to keep. If all you trades are pre-made and your just exchanging or you just attending it $5. If you want to hear the speakers and have dinner add $15, Speakers start at 4 PM dinner is at 5:30 and keynote speaker is at 7PM.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts