The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what did you all think of the conference and swap?

I had a great time. Met a lot of nice people. Learned some new things. Spent way to much money. But, all in all, it was a very worthy trip and I'm going to plan on going again next year.

P.S. I bought a piece of the blue and red acan from Mary and Dustin - super nice!! They were full of color the same night that I put them in the tank. Bought (from the store) a peppermint shrimp for $8.99, an orange ric for $14.99, and ten nassarius for .99 cents each.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The event was 10 times better this year. If you are going to do it next year, and they continue the same basic schedule, you could do it in one LONG day with no hotel room or just one of the nights with an early drive on Friday or late drive Sat night. Schedule the tours both on Saturday and your GTG.
Almost every one of the 30+ traders had nice stuff in the mid to cool stuff. I mean stuff the folks in the club would like. Most of the people buying stuff were looking for softies though... so you could have had your pick of nice stuff!
They are aiming for 5-600 folks next year, but the trade only tickets were in the 10 range... so... you know...
I am sure the event dynamics will keep changing, but it looks like it will be here to stay.

The warehouse tour is a one time must, but I guarantee you will never get board of the aquaculture facility. I would make the drive once a year just to see that over and over.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did anyone take any pics? I forgot the camera.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
No pic's here, but I will say it was a great time. Got to meet alot of cool people, and got to know some people from the club a little better too. For all of you who didnt go, you missed out on things such as Oregon Blue Tort frags for $10 a piece.

·
Registered
735 Posts
fosters

Ha Ha, I know where those tort frags came from :doh: I had an awesome time too!! Needless to say, I will be back next year :) Mary and Dustin, thanks for a great time Sat night:agree: Here's some quick pics I shot:

Rows and Rows of fire montis : Yes I had to buy one:)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I totally dug these lighting systems on tracks: going to try them on the new tank i think:

Wish I had plastic bags in my pockets :funny:

·
Registered
735 Posts

The size of this clam in the lower right hand corner was about the size of a volleyball. Totally gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Couple coral shots of the aquacultured facility director's tank. Man if he would be willing to trade me I could check off a couple more of my want list:rotflmao: Dream on stuckey_t

·
Registered
735 Posts
Last but not least, couple shots of some finned friends I wish I could have brought home with me:agree: They looked happy healthy and were the buds of the employees of the facility. If you didn't go this year make sure you go next year because it was totally worth the trip and all I can say is they did everything above and beyond!!!!

Oh, one last thing: I made a trade with a guy from Chicago for a frag of something I have been looking for for about 5 years. He pulled it out of his cooler and I about "fainted". Needless to say the whole weekend was like that, full of pleasant surprises:drool: Make sure you look me up there next year!!!

·
Reef Society Duluth/Mpls
1,033 Posts
What more can I add, glad you came, Thanks everyone!! Hope everyone did well as a trader or a buyer. The frag traders who traveled the greatest distance were from Maine and Missouri.

Greater Minnesota Reef Society

Jim

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
oragon tort for 10$?????? while i'll be a monkeys uncle! wish i could afford that!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had an absolute blast this year. It was great to meet so many new people in the hobby (no offense TCMASers) and see a lot of the people again we met last year. This is definitely something I will be continuing to attend every year. There really were a lot of nice corals there, but the big sellers were softies and LPS. Anyone looking for SPS was a trader it seemed. Hardly sold any of my acros, but I did get to trade them for some others I don't have which also worked for me.

If you intend to come next year and you're interested in making a drunken fool of yourself, I highly recommend coming down Friday and hitting the local bars. We had a great time with the vendors and some of the employees.

Stuckey T already gave some nice pics of the aquaculture facility. Thought I'd add some of the frag swap itself.

Couldn't get Dirk to smile for this one.

Oh, and all the traders got to display their corals in new 12g Aquapods that, yes, you get to keep as part of your $45 registration as a trader. My son can finally stop bugging me about a nano for his room.

Attachments

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
Sounded like a really fun time. I was planning on making it this year, but things fell through. With all the stunning testimonials, I will make sure I am there next year.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes is was a great time. I only went for a few hours on Sat. with deathmatch, which by the way Thanks for driving :) I found some great frags thanks to stucky_t and myfatwork :) :) :) I spent waaaaayyy more than I had thought, oh well :p
Next year I highly intend to go and hopefully be a trader, but I guess I will just have to see what happens.

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
WOW! that looked like it was alot of fun! What did you guys/gals buy? I hope Troy sold a ton of frags:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts