The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks im new to TRT. I have a threadfin butterfly and i bought formula one to feed it as per the instructions of the LFS. The only problem is that he doesnt seem too interested in eating it. I also feed them frozen shrimp which he eats and spits half back out. Just want to make sure i am feeding him correctly and am looking for any suggestions. Also any ideas on the best way to feed Formula One food. How should i break it up and mix it in? THANKS!

·
Retired Wanderer
17,290 Posts
Formula One is frozen cubes for most fish and Formula Two is for your algae eaters.

I see now that they have a line of granular food, but it might be the first time I have seen it.

I use both of them pretty much exclusively and cut up slivers in water and rinse first. It will take a very picky fish like a mandarin to turn down the frozen though.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Some fish can be pretty finicky eaters.

There is ONE approach that MIGHT help, but it's not guaranteed.

If you soak the food with some garlic, it usually will make the fish MUCH more interested in the food.

After a while, the fish gets used to the taste, and the garlic isn't needed anymore...but the hard part is getting them to try it early on.

Give that a whirl, and see if it works.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I have the granular food of both Formula 1 and 2. The problem with it is it immediately sinks to the bottom. How long have you had the butterfly? And what kind of frozen shrimp are you feeding...brine or mysis?

Also, welcome aboard!! w0000000000000000t!!! :)

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had a thread fin for several yrs and he did the same thing when I first bought him. I think it may be because they were caught wild and it takes them a time to get use to being in captivity. I bought live brine shrimp and mixed it with the thawed frozen for awhile. Even if he/she only eats the live brine it will keep them alive until they get use to the frozen. Oh yeah and a BIG OL WELCOME to trt!

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Welceome to TRT! You have some very good advice here, not too much I can add.

HHC

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

I was never able to get my fish to eat frozen Formula 1 or 2. My fish were never really interested in them.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
WELCOME to TRT! :wavey:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts