The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last monday I did my usual water change and forgot to turn my heater on. Friday when I stuck my hands in the tank I realized that the heater was off and the temp jumped from 80 to 74, and the temp in the house at the time was 80. No telling how low it got when the house temp was 72 at night. Now Most of my xenia is wilted and looking terrible. One piece is still ok and may be my new colony. What do you guys think? Could a fluction in temp wipe out xenia?

I have also noticed my green stars are not opening that much...i am going to have full set of tests run on my water at lunch today....I will let yall know if it is something to do with my water....

Thanks
clay

·
Snorkelholic
441 Posts
the drop could indeed kill anything.. but the xenia should come back strong - as it is the kudzu of coral!

you may also want to skim a lot in the next few days, as the drop may have killed off some of the copapods, etc.

good luck

Joe

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That must be it...

Just had my water tested and here are the final results!

Nirates 0
dkh 10
calcium 350
ph 8.3
salinity 1.023

I will forever leave my dang heater on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never to be unplugged again.

The xenia is not completly dead but it burnt it back a pretty good bit. I may not loose the mother colony but the 3 frags I cut 2 weeks ago probably are not going to make it!!!!

Oh well, lesson learned!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
On any setup I allways recommend --- Rainbow Lifegaurd --- Little (or Big) Time and Temp --- acturate, easy to read, remote probe, resonably priced (compared to loosing fiah/corals) --- mount the display somewhere up front where you will see it everytime you look at the tank.

This to me is probably one of the most critical pieces of equipment to own --- right up there w/ a hydrometer/refractometer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts