The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided against messing with my extra impeller. My main issue is I want more air in the chamber. I hooked up my aqua lifter pump to the venturi intake on my skimmer and instantly got what I want. The only problem is it was too much. I had a bubble overflow in my collection cup. So what about this. Hook up the venturi line from my skimmer to the aqua lifter pump. and the the inlet on the aqua lifter pump to a air valve to control air going in. Will this fix the issue .

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Some of the initial NW sequence pumps had to be ran this same way but with a bigger air pump. My biggest question reading this is how much is an aqualifter pump pushing? I've never had one, so I don't have a clue, but I would think that any decent skimmer pump could out perform an aqualifter if it is tuned right. but ultimately if it works, run it!

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I actually found that even with the mesh mode (which I love as it makes really fine bubbles) adding an air pump works really well for me...of course it's a DIY skimmer...without the air pump the skimmer sucks tons of air and creates plenty of skimmate, but it seems to run more "evenly" with the air pump.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
If it were me I would prefer putting the air valve on the output of the aqualifter rather than the input.

You also might want to look into getting a cheap air pump rather than the aqualifter for this, just because the aqualifter can pump water and has lots of other really useful purposes.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The problem is the recirc pump seems to sucks air in spirts. In other words it will suck air then stop for just a second then again. If I take the silencer off you can actually hear it sucking in spirts.

i am going to go take a drive to petsmart. I am going to get a air valve and look at the small air pumps. I have a recirc skimmer so the venturi line is attached to the recirc pump not the pump feeding the skimmer. It is also a normal venturi that is wide open(no valves) so there is no adjustments. If you want to see pics of this click on the build thread link in my signiture. There are tons of pics including equipment. The air in it now is ok but I want it to be the best it can be. I will experiment with the air valve on the inlet and output. Let you guys now later on tonight what happens

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just got back. I am going to use the aqua lifter pump i have just because I have it laying around. I have to get some use out of it. This was a back up pump when I had a non reef ready tank with a CPR overflow box. So I hooked up the factory silencer that came with the skimmer to an air hose, then a air valve, then into the inlet for the aqua lifter the output goes directly to the inlet on the recirc pump on the skimmer. And WOW what a drastic difference. It is just amazing the amount of air in the skimmer now. It looks more like a becket injected skimmer then a venturi now. I am much happier with it.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Cool...that's pretty much the same problem I was having...the pump was "sucking in spirts"...I tried different sized tubing and even a valve and it didn't help...I too find that running an air pump makes it run nice and smooth.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Put the air valve on the outlet of the air pump or you will burn up the pump prematurely. Pumps can handle head pressure (restriction on the outlet) but tend to create a vacuum - and increase power usage - with a restriction on the inlet side.

The spurts of air is because there isn't enough restriction on the inlet side of the recirc pump. In order to cause a pump to pull air on its own, you have to cause it to create enough vacuum to pull air in through the air line. It pulls a little air, gets caught up, pushes water back out the air line, creates a vacuum and sucks it back in.

You can see that happen with any pump though. Take a MJ powerhead (or any other pump) and put an air line in the inlet of the pump. Without a restriction, it won't pull air. Then slowly start covering the intake with your finger. You will see it start pulling more and more air until it gets to the point where it pulls too much air and then the pump will cavitate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts