The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is 3 AM here and i am seeing a lot of folks online... so i think it is a good time to mention some good herbs and OTC sleep remedies that are not addictive. I love herbs because they are non-addictive and almost always have positive side effects. besides getting a good nights rest.

Valerian Root-- this stuff smells like dirty socks but as an herb is is a great muscle relaxant and will help you sleep. 2-3 pills with a sandwich about 30 min before bed is a good idea. it also helps when you have back seizures and other muscle tension issues.
{a standard muscle relaxer is ibuprofin but taking it too much will kill your kidneys.}

Butchers broom-- this will help those of you who suffer from restless leg syndrome (just can't stop dancing)... this is one of my problems.

Kava Kava-- just good old sleep herb

Black Cohosh-- Same thing but only use in smaller portions. works well for women who have "female sleeping issues"... don't ask me for details.

California Poppy Root-- helps people with anxiety (can't turn the mind off) to sleep.

Camomile-- Classic herb good in tea but you should use honey instead of sugar to sweeten it. sleep away.

Just keep in mind that some of these are potent and may cause you to be a little nausous... and if you have health issues or are pregnant then ask your doctor. My mother has used herbs for decades and the family uses them for many things. I did leave out some of the more dangerous ones.

NOW GO TO BED!!!:p

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I will look into those. I have a couple of prescription meds, one doesn't work and the other causes sleep walking. Yes my husband found me in the kitchen ranting about the dishes that weren't in the sink. So I have sworn off perscriptions completely!

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Valerian Root-- this stuff smells like dirty socks but as an herb is is a great muscle relaxant and will help you sleep. 2-3 pills with a sandwich about 30 min before bed is a good idea. it also helps when you have back seizures and other muscle tension issues.
{a standard muscle relaxer is ibuprofin but taking it too much will kill your kidneys.}
I wonder if this would help with Charlie Horses. My daughter and I both get one in the same leg. Everything I've read says to raise potassium level but I've been eating TONS of bananas and it doesn't help.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Hrmm...I wake up too easily at night and have a spaz leg. Might try these.

Remember the good old days of Tryptophan and Halcyon. :freak:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
jenajet said:
I will look into those. I have a couple of prescription meds, one doesn't work and the other causes sleep walking. Yes my husband found me in the kitchen ranting about the dishes that weren't in the sink. So I have sworn off perscriptions completely!
The in vouge disorder is sleep eating. People get up, stuff themselves, and dont remember it the next day. Ambien increases ones risk of getting this.

But this is better than sleep driving. Risk factors for this include taking Ambien, and being a US congressman.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
drsyme said:
The in vouge disorder is sleep eating. People get up, stuff themselves, and dont remember it the next day. Ambien increases ones risk of getting this.

But this is better than sleep driving. Risk factors for this include taking Ambien, and being a US congressman.
I struggled with a bout of insomnia a few years back. That Ambien stuff is awfull. Although it helped me sleep I had the most vivid nightmares in history while taking it. One night I was having a nightmare about that little monster Chuckie from the Child's Play movies. In my dream I had him by the throat shaking him. Then I woke up strangling and shaking a pillow.

·
Registered
524 Posts
After my mother passed away I had a really really hard time sleeping for about 6 months until someone told me to try melatonin. It worked like a charm.

Another thing I heard works well is 5HTP (I hope I got that right!) I know it's an herbal mood elevator but my best friends mother is like a walking book of pills and herbal remedies and she swears it's the best sleep aid she's ever used.

Butch for your daughter....when I was in my teens I used to wake up all the time with the same problem. My doctor told me to take a calcium suppilment. Taking it made the cramps stop.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whatevva said:
I wonder if this would help with Charlie Horses. My daughter and I both get one in the same leg. Everything I've read says to raise potassium level but I've been eating TONS of bananas and it doesn't help.
look into the butchers broom too. My father has the same problem and my mom was having him drink tonic water for the quinine in it. that should really help the issue.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yep the ambien was the bad one. Don't think I ever ate just rambled around the house trying to clean what didn't need cleaning. Hubby thought it was funny at first until it became nightly. So the meds had to stop. I have heard of people sleep driving too thank god it didn't get to that point!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts