The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Just wanted to post a pair of picks I took tonight, one with "auto" mode on my Olympus 3020, and another with manual white balance, actually I used one tough white balance while pointing the camera at a really clean spot on the sand.

I've seen alot of picks of beautiful tanks and though, 'ugh they need to get better lights, that is just WAY too yellow to stand, an I think I know why now...

Here is one of AUTO white balance.

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here is the improved manual White Balance, all I did was point the camera at a really white spot on the sand, and click the one touch white balance button, because i have no idea what I am doing and I was just playing with it........

MUCH BETTER

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is another before and after of the whole tank, I can't believe I used this camera for a year and never touched this setting.

BTW, thanks to BuzzHog for walking me through putting these pics together.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Great info Dave!
You can also use a clean piece of white PVC for setting your white balance. I have used the sand trick a few times, works just fine. I have also set the white balance to my actinics, it make for a pretty weird effect. Thanks for sharing your tip!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, gumhead, I know there have been 100 people ask about this exact problem, and I knew the answer was in the white balance, but I never knew exactly what to do. I see alot of pics here on TRT of gorgeous tanks, that are probably far more yellow than they are in real life. I hope a few of them see this before the toss out that camera in search of high dollar equipment.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts