The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that the feminine approach to reef keeping is any different that the masculine? Like do 'chick tanks' tend to have lots of pick colored "poofy" things in them - while the 'guy tanks' look like some sort of coral inspired catastrophe?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Lets face it the ladies determine what our tanks look like too. "Don't you think that would look better over there?" or the one that I didn't think I heard right " Just get the big purple one, it would look cool in there by the yellow one, even if it expensive it'll look nice." Beleive me, I didn't argue with that one.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
"Pink poofy things"? :rolleyes:

Speaking for myself, I find myself more interested in the animal husbandry aspects rather than over-tinkering with the plumbing, lighting, wiring, etc. I was attracted by the animals in this hobby, not the toys ;)

That's not to say I ignore the technical aspect. All the plumbing works fine, no leaks, I can wire lighting myself, I'm going to drill my acrylic tank for a closed loop, yada, yada. I just find those things necessary for the support of my critters, I don't find it fun, lol.

My husband is the one who says "I like that green wavey-looking one" when we look in the LFS tanks ;)

But of course, it was nice to have fish that color-coordinated with my furniture and drapes.

:D

J/K!

Alice

·
Registered
135 Posts
That is an interesting question. My husband also like "pretty coral that waves in the current and brightly colored fish". Where I prefer the acropora and anemones. I have completed all of the building, plumbing, equipment fixing/mantainence, etc for my tank. So from aspect, for me I think this female reefer is the same as the male reefers.

But I do spend a lot of time thinking about the colors, and textures in the tank. The artistic beauty of the entire tank is of large concern. I want to balance the color of the coral with the color of the fish. I want the aquascaping to be very interesting. I am not sure that is a "chick" thing. It maybe be that I have a minor degree in art so that aspect is as important to me as the science involved in the reef enviornment.

There is a man on reefcentral who has a tank that is full of different color zoos - it is awesome! The design of this tank surpasses any acro tank I have ever seen.

Interesting question - I kind of think it is just a person's personality not their gender.

Connie

·
Registered
26 Posts
HA! Thats a laugh, no pink and poofie things in mine, same as most reefers, I got nice greens, reds, purples and blues...no pink.

Unless your talking fishes, then we got a Bartlett's anthias, and some unknown fairy wrasse, but they are in the 38, and i got them cause they added color.
I take a natural approach, does it look like the ocean? Thats what i am aiming for...
i will say that our womanly buying power is probably better. Guys, how hard is it for your wife to say "hey hun, can i have a few bucks to go shopping with?" and getting it ..compared to a guy asking his wife for a few?
I think we all know that women get what women want....and for me being a reef keeper, thats a great thing!!! I will say women with reef tanks (the W.W.R.T lol) would rather buy coral than a new sweater. I can't say for sure about shoes....

I hope i haven't offended anyone, just if i was given the chance, i'd rather be tank shopping than hanging out at some boring mall.

My hubby has given me a budget for reef creatures every week to keep me happy...it's part of who i am, i could have worse hobbies as he puts it.
:) cheers!!!
PS...i let my hubby get whatever he wants for toys, he just has one he really wants and it's gonna take a few years to get it...a 911... but hey, what girl wouldn't want one anyway?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts