The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, the jokes on me! How the HE** do you prime a pump??? Every time I put water in it primes to the suction end-but of course comes out! So, if I start the pump-it is dry! The pump is above the water in the sump-hooked up to the skimmer. If I put water in the skimmer (going backwards) it would have to fill the skimmate collection cup to the top...the directions mention a "foot valve" . Do you know what that is? Please help, this is really driving me nuts!!!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really wanted to have the pump raised off the basement floor as it, the floor is frequently damp. (not do to the tank-just a damp basement after major rain storms-but damp enough to cause rusting of the pump footing if left on the floor)

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shoot! I had a feeling-your gonna tell me to drill, right? I guess I could put some left over cutting board on the floor and put the pump on that. The current water level in the sump is about 9 inches. I just have this sneaking suspicion that the sump isn't gonna hold enough water for the skimmer to run, the pump for the skimmer is more powerful that the pump for tank circulation. Is there a way to figure this out before doing all the drilling and such....I hate the idea of doing all this and finding out the sump is too small for the skimmer. And thanks for your help, I didn't know if I was doing something wrong or what!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
since it is acrylic i am going to say drill the sump. :D

if you do not put the skimmer on the floor or even in the sump than you may not have enough water in the sump to handle the skimmer. the way you have it now when the power goes out all of the water will leave the skimmer. if it is at least on the floor or in the sump, the water level in the skimmer will match the water level in the sump.

am i making sense here?

G~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts