The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, despite my bettter judgement and several recommendations from the fine people at TRT; I couldn't wait another day to let my tank cycle. It has had water lr/ls in it for a combined 2 weeks as of yesterday. That is untill I folded and hit up the LFS for 20 blue leg hermits, 20 turbo snails, 2 peppermint shrimp and a percula clown. That was at about 5:00 yesterday...As of today at 11:00 a.m. before I left for work i did a head count and everyone was accounted for and ALIVE!!! I finally have something to look at when i stare at the tank now. Hopefully they will live....Cheers:beer:

·
double cappuccino
1,633 Posts
As long as you tested first. Going by time generalities is, by nature, non-specific. I had tanks cylce in two weeks with good clean live rock, but I've had it take 4 weeks too.

The wet blanket beach bum says: the surest way to a migraine with this hobby is sick and/or dead critters.

bb

·
Administrator
48,689 Posts
If you didn't and slicked this one, lucky you. As a group dedicated to trying to promote responsible reef keeping practices the lecture is mandatory. Hopefully you had a swift cycle and all will be well. Please Remember that the Nitrogen cycle is just the begining and now you have to slowly ramp up the bioload and give the tank time to catch up, then you can expect the diatom and algae phases to some extent. Plan on taking reefzac for at least the first 6 months , and good luck :)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts

·
double cappuccino
1,633 Posts
Good point about the algae - if you don't have it, then your tank isn't cycled yet. They are nitrAte fueled and so will be present as soon is nitrAte is available, which, as we all know, is the bi-product of the presence of nitrifying bacteria.

On a softer note - I have folded many times, as have many, many, many, many, many, many, many others. That is why we give this kind of advice - been there, done that.

Cheers,
bb

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i hope you tested first. i cant give the lecture, i just did it myself last month..

but i really do hope you at least tested. and hopefully everythign will live. and please, if you plan to be a good reefkeeper, heed the advice about the crabs.

seems to me it might have been a bit early to add so much, speacially the snails and shrimp. what are they gonna eat if you dont have algae yet?

anyway good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.