The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I decided to try this foam and rock wall idea that I keep seeing here and there. I did a lot of research and some people said to use the black pond foam because it's better and safer. Both are inert after curing, the black pond foam just doesn't need to be covered in a protectant (i.e epoxy). Since I wanted to cover my foam in sand anyhow, I went the regular foam insulation. Below are my pictures. More to come as I progress.

This step was pretty much laying down the rocks in a pattern of my choice and having fun with the foam. Some people zip tie their pieces but I went out on a limb and just laid the rocks and foamed around them and it turned out great. Word of advice, if you plan on adding corals to your wall make sure to not have pieces up top overshadowing rock ledges below AND do not use alot of foam unless you want to do sculpting. I found out that this stuff expands ALOT!

This is after letting the foam cure and then "scultping". What I liked to do was start cutting a little bit of the piece I want removed then ripping the rest off. It gives you a jagged edge as you can see. From there I cut a little bit here and there and I feel it turned out pretty well.

This is just another angle of the picture above. It gives you a better idea of the extent of how far you can have pieces stick out and a better dimensional view.

Second Day:

Didn't get too far since I have a million other projects but here is a pic to show the little progress. Part of the reason I've done so little is Lowe's doesn't sell econo sized epoxy so I bought the little double syringe epoxy for $5.00....thought three containers would have got me further...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used eggcrate for the supporting material and to make the basic shape then used the foam around the rocks to support/hold them in place and to carve.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Have you put it in the water yet? I know of a couple of people here that have tried this and had trouble with it floating on them. Just couldn't keep it down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah make sure you silcone it to the back wall as well as any holes or you will find that fish and things can get in behide and die

1 - 5 of 5 Posts