The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently was able to order a Fluval Spec 2 gallon tank on the cheap and really would like to try and start keeping coral. I know nothing about corals or lighting for corals or feeding corals. I heard mushroom corals are pretty hardy and good for beginners like me. My question is, what kind of lighting do I need and will the LED that comes on the Fluval Spec be enough, or the right kind?

here is what amazons page says about the light:

"In addition, The Fluval Spec features a sleek, round pendant of LED lights, which puts out a pleasant full spectrum natural daylight, ideal for growing small plants. The Spec includes a powerful LED light fixture that includes 31 LED lights conveniently located above the aquarium to provide brilliant illumination for plants, fish and décor with a convenient on/off switch. "

If this isn't a sufficient light, what kind of light can I get and about how much would it cost me?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had the fluval spec 8g tank. The small light that comes with the tank is intended for a FOWLR. The light fixture has no way to protect it from the small splashes the create salt creep above the tank. I lost Half of the LED's in the fixture because I don't like to cover the top of my tank. I now have a different LED system over my tank.

I kept soft corals and some low light LPS "Acans" in the tank for a few months without problems. But its hard to tell b/c sometimes you cant see the signs until its been 6 months and there built in food reserves are gone.

As far as a replacement light goes for a 2g Nano and just Softy's unless you want a massive amount of control like I do :) you could look at something like this Wave point 6 Inch 8 Watt or a stunner strip or two to replace the stock light with down the road.

Also a 2g tank does not make things easier for a beginner its quite the opposite I would start with a 20g on the small end they are much more forgiving when it comes to evaporation and learning how to keep the water in the tank.

If I could when I started I would go back in time and give my self a 40g Breeder It's become my recommended starter tank of choice now :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Give it a go. I've got the same little tank on top my fridge. Right now its got a Betta in it but when that goes I'm throwing a piece of rock in there with some shrooms and maybe some zoas. The light is plenty bright enough but the spectrum is probably in around the 6500k so colours may not pop but id bet there will be decent growth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what the wattage is but I should have the tank by monday and will know then. I know that the smaller the tank the harder it is, I have had a 20g and 10g saltwater tanks before but no corals. This will be my first time with corals. I plan on being very strict. I already have a brand new testing kit and got a notebook to log all test and water changes I do so I can keep organized and keep a healthy tank. I would love to do a bigger tank but unfortunately I am in the process of transferring colleges and will most likely be moving within the next year and don't want to set up a huge immovable tank with a bunch of established corals/fish... not yet anyway. I have a 50g bow front with built in filtration in my garage I would like to get going once I am settled somewhere. But until then I wanted to start learning about corals and admiring them with this small temporary tank. Plus I am extremely fascinated and really appreciate the beauty of these ecosystems, I am going to school to become a marine biologist. Another question, I know this tank would definitely be too small for any fish but what about a cleanup crew? Crabs and Snails? Feather Dusters? Or should I just stick to corals with this tank?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts