The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

If I wanted to buy a VHO retro kit for my tank (48"x24"x24"), what size would I have to order. Let's suppose I'm getting it from PA. I'm not sure what the sizes they display represent: the tank size or the actual tube length. If it is tube length, then I'd have to order a smaller kit, say, 46" or 36", right? I wouldn't like to order a 48" retro kit to later find out it doesn't fit in my canopy... :D

Thanks for your help again!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing: what would you prefer to have combined with 10000 k Metal halides: Super Actinic Blue, Actinic White 50/50 or AquaSun Daylight. My MHs are crisp white, so I'm guessing I'd like to add a blue tint to it.

Thank you again folks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
My tank is 60" long, I ordered 5' VHO retro kits for the hood and it fit like a glove. THe hood is slightly longer, like 1/2"!

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
You need to measure your mounting location. If they will be going inside a hood, measure the inside dimension of the hood.

Endcaps add about 1/2" to the overall lenth (1/4" per endcap). Therefore 48" tubes with endcaps will be about 48.5" long overall 46.5" will be about 47" long overall, etc.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have to order 36" or 46" retro kit, then.
I was confused about the description, and at some point I wasn't sure if when they listed a 48" retro kit, they meant it was for a 48" hood, and not the bulbs being 48" long.
I think I'm clear about this now.

Thanks for your help folks!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
graz, for my 48" hood, i had to order 46" bulbs, and endcaps. due to the endcap size.

·
Registered
334 Posts
a 48" bulb includes the probes at the end, in most cases your hood is designed to handle the 48" bulbs with the endcaps installed, total length of the vho lights with the end caps should be 48.5", to the Tee. Measure the inside of your hood and if you have minium 48.5" you will be ok.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
grazhopr said:
......what would you recommend to have combined with 10000 k Metal halides: Super Actinic Blue, Actinic White 50/50 or AquaSun Daylight. My MHs are crisp white, so I'm guessing I'd like to add a blue tint to it.

.... I think I'm going to order a two-bulb retro kit, so I'm wondering whether to order two tubes of the same type or a combination... :confused:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mine is three bulbs, one actinic blue and two actinic white.

This is Marine Depot recommendations.

2 lamps: one actinic blue and one actinic white
3 lamps: one actinic blue and two actinic white
4 lamps: two actinic blue and two actinic white

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice tank man!!!

I assume you're not running MHs in your tank, are you?
I have two 10000K MHs and I don't know how much blue would two 110 watt blue actinics put out combined with the MHs. Right now I have two 20watt NO Marine Glo, and it still looks crisp white.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks bluer than it really is, I think because of the blue background. I'd like it slightly bluer.

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Geoff said:
nice sandals.:D

ohh and the tank is looking great. now if you can only get rid of the fill line bubbles.:)

G~
They're already gone Geoff. This picture is probably a month old.
Hey, thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it.
:wavey:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BuckWheat said:
Looks nice, not sure if you should or shouldn't use two blues. I'm guessing yes but I'm guessing.
Thanks Buck!

I'm sure someone with a similar setup will chime in eventually...
I'm not really sure either what to use. I could buy the retrokit with one extra white or 50/50 tube, in case I don't like too much blue. :D

·
Super Moderator
27,708 Posts
Sweeeet, Graz! Good to see a pic of your tank, even if it this pic is a month old ;)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey!!!! :wavey: Thank you Cath!!!
I hope I'll have some new photos before August ends.

·
Administrator
47,683 Posts
Hey Graz, HOWDY!!!!!!. Is there anyway you can use a 3 bulb setup with your Metal Halides? IF so I would use one white actinic or Aquasun if they still list them and too blue actinic. Put them on a timer so the VHO run 12 hrs and have the MH on 8 hrs starting 2 hrs after VHO come on, and reverse at night, MH off 2 hrs before the VHO goes off.
If 3 bulb wont work, you could get the 2 bulb retro kit, specify 46.5" bulbs, that way you are sure to fit, mine are 48" but my hood is wider enough that it slips down over the top moulding, and they just fit. The 46.5 " should fit in easy :)
The idea of buying 3rd extra tube is not bad, then you have a spare and if you get one white and 2 blue you can
play with it till you get the color effect you like :) Have fun :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts