The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

About a month or 2 ago, I purchased some bulbs from OTP for my NC 24 (BTW: great store, very pleased and happy to find a good LFS in LAX area). However, I later ended up purchasing a Nova Extreme Pro light system for my Nano Cube. The bulbs are as follows:
  • 1ea Coralife 10,000K, 36 watt, 16" straight pin arrangement
  • 1ea Coralife Actinic, 36 watt, 16" straight pin arrangement
First, I hope it is not in poor taste of me to try and trade these here on TRT, as I know OTP is a member, etc. However, everyone knows that every dollar counts these days and I figured that maybe someone local could use them in exchange for something of equal value that I could use.

Next, please know that I have never used the bulbs, I don't have the receipt anymore, and I DID remove them from the packages (which I saved).

What I'm hoping to trade for is either:
  • Some kind of powerhead and heater (and some advice on how to make my own saltwater) AND/OR
  • Some coral frags AND/OR
  • A combination of any of the above
Please reply or PM me with offers, questions, comments, etc.

P.S. I live in Holmen, but come to LAX everyday for work, so I could drop them off.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
for making salt water i just dump 5 gallons of distilled water in a bucket..add 3 and a half cups of reef crystals..swish a spoon around the bucket to make sure theres no salt resting on the bottom..add a small powerhead and let it circulate for 24 hours..then i check the temp and salinity of the tank and the salt i mixed..then if it matches up i take out 5 gallons and put in 5 gallons..thats it!-drew

·
REEFer In Progress
1,423 Posts
Welcome to TRT and LARK, hopefully you'll stick around more than just to sell the bulbs! Tell us about your setup, what size, lighting etc.. Were also having a meeting this sunday, feel free to stop by and meet some of the crew! (If you look on the LARK page there is a title called "LARK August meeting". That will give you all the info you need to get there)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Drew. I figured making salt water was that simple. Been in the hobby since December 2007 and have been buying pre-mixed crap this whole time. :doh:

I do plan to hang around more, I know my post count is low, thats because I do more reading than posting.

Thanks for the invite to the meeting.

As for my setup, I have a 24gal. JBJ Nanocube with NEP - T5HO Light, MJ 1200, 25lbs of live rock. I have 2 clownfish (a Black Perc and a False Perc).

As for coral, I've previously kept a ton of xenia and some zoas, but over the past 6 months, I've been dealing with a moderate to heavy aiptasia outbreak and have lost pretty much all of my coral. The fish seem to be doing well. I don't know my parameters off hand, although I do keep an eye on them. I've used Joe's Juice to try and control it, but the outbreak is still overwhelming. I'm thinking about buying a few peppermint shrimp to try and control it too. My last resort plan is to startover with all new live rock, but that seems like I'd risk losing my whole biological filter, if I do that and I don't want to lose the clowns, as they've been with me since the beginning.

Anyway, that's a brief summary of where I'm at in the hobby. I have the time and money to fix my problem and get on the road to having a nice tank again, but want to make sure I do it the right way.

Any input or help is appreciated.

·
The Watcher
2,046 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

Peppermints are the way to go for sure!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I figured making salt water was that simple. Been in the hobby since December 2007 and have been buying pre-mixed crap this whole time. :doh:
1) Be sure your using a high quality salt, I've been using reef cystal since I got into the hobby, it has higher levels of trace elements to be replenished when doing your water change.

2) ALWAYS use RO water. If you're using tap now it'd be a good time to switch over. You can get a good unit for $150-200 or OTP Matt has it in the store (although call first cause it goes fast usually)

I do plan to hang around more, I know my post count is low, thats because I do more reading than posting.
Get involved, LARK is one of the greatest places to bounce questions or suggestions. You'll always find a large resource of people who want to help you succeed.

Anyway, that's a brief summary of where I'm at in the hobby. I have the time and money to fix my problem and get on the road to having a nice tank again, but want to make sure I do it the right way.
Aiptasia....no good. Usually hitchikes on corals or liverock. I've heard the joe's juice works well, and pepermint shrimp to keep it at bay. Sometimes its not about how much money you spend but where you spend it. What're you running for equipment on there, or just the stock setup? And what is the frequency of your water changes?

·
Registered
773 Posts
for my apstasia i just went to the vet, got a needle attachment (be sure to explain its use lol) and used lemon juice. In a tank your size id only recommend killing 2 aptasia every other day so you do not increase your ALK. If you need any help let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts