The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
New 16g BioCube Gen 3, April 2021... back at the habit!
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Haven't been on here in a while but I have a perplexing question... recently I took some mushroom and xenia frags into my LFS for some credit and ended up getting a baby 6-line wrasse and a "flower crab" as I was told it was called. The guys at the LFS told me that it arrived in a shipment and they'd never had one before, but he was awesome so we got him. He's doing great, I just HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HE IS!
I'm out of town so don't have pics of him yet but this is what I know:

-he's not an emerald, sally lightfoot, or hermit crab
-most of him is whitish with bright yellow spots on his legs
-he lives in the sand most of the time but can swim and comes out of the sand to swim around when he smells food
-he has the basic body shape of a blue crab
-his total body is about 3 inches across
-I think it's a female since both claws in the front are the same size (there isn't one really large one)

He/she is doing fine in my tank, no issues, and I definitely don't want to get rid of him/her/it. I just am having trouble ID-ing it! I've tried to look up pics online and have come up dry, so if nothing else I'll get pics when I get back home later this week.
Ideas?

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GAH... after looking at every single picture in the forum that even remotely resembles a crab, I've determined that... there isn't a pic of him on here. Drat!
I know that he/she/it is NOT:

-emerald crab
-any kind of hermit crab (doesn't use an external shell)
-arrow crab
-sally lightfoot
-porcelain crab
-anemone crab
-anything else on this blasted forum

I'm really frustrated! So... I'm off to search the interwebs.

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
Na cant be pompom because i think thats what he is refering to as a anemone crab
witch is wrong

a anemone crab carries its nem on its back. :D i would probly say it will take forever to id you self.
now when youj have a photo and post it here you will have at least 20-30 people looking out for it or maybe one who knows what it is . :thumbup: but you know this sorry i cant help.

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah-hahahahaha I found pics! www.wetwebmedia.com in the Crab ID pages... but of course this is one of the ones that they couldn't ID. Ain't he awesome!?!?!?
I'm sure that he's a portunid (swimming crab) but beyond that, have no idea. He's about 2 inches long and just the coolest thing ever - my fiancee and I love playing with him!
Just like I found on wetweb, he has flattened legs and smaller-than-usual pincers/claws. He stays in the sand most of the time with his eyes above ground, and when he comes out he swims around but is very easy-going, doesn't fight with anyone and is most definitely reef safe so far. He usually scuttles backwards on the sand and likes to dig himself a little hole and watch the mysis float by. :)
Say hello to Mr. Pinchy!!!

Attachments

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
Whoo i like em ! wonder what the specks are on him how bug/how long dose he last ect .

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe that is a moon crab, I just happen to see a picture of one on the web yesterday while Googling some possible future purchases. Let me see if I can find the link for you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/news/labrador/blog/060128labg4044m3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/news/labrador/blog/2006/01/special-crabs-at-labrador.html&h=216&w=216&sz=67&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=SXquHRO46Cod9M:&tbnh=107&tbnw=107&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmoon%2Bcrab%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN

It was crabs galore at Labrador's rocky shore today. First spotted, by sharp-eyed Ria Tan of Wild Singapore, was a rarely seen moon crab, which are far more common on the Northern shores. It was swimming into a patch of seaweed when spotted. We placed it on the sand, where it promptly buried itself completely, presumably a way of hiding from both predators and potential prey.

The moon crab Matuta lunaris has legs which are flattened into paddles. They use their legs to dig themselves efficiently into the sand.

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know... I'm dying to find out! He is so fun. The guys at our LFS are really cool, they were really excited to show him to us. He was in a tank with snails, other crabs, etc. and we were promised that he was reef safe (although, as much as I love those guys, I know they were wrong on his ID since they called him a "flower crab", which Mr. Pinchy definitely is NOT).
I haven't seen him eat mysis per se, but he's suppoedly a sand-sifter so I bet he just eats detritus and the like. You can hold him in your hand and he'll just chill out and he swims around like a spaz. He landed on a narcissus snail when he was swimming around the other day and they got into a brief-but-hilariously-awkward fight, but I don't think Mr. Pinchy had the intention of killing/eating the snail. Just like in Finding Nemo, I could just see him saying "Heeeey... heeeeeey... get oudda here!" :)

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much for the help, guys! It's weird... the links/pics of the moon crab have exactly the same shape to them, but the coloring isn't exactly the same... he has no brown on him, just yellow like on the pics I posted. I wonder if it is just a moon crab with color variation?... or maybe there is more than one kind of moon crab?
Now I need to clarify that he really is reef safe because I'm paranoid. :) From what I understand, my LFS guys just got him in a shipment (not as a hitchhiker but as a random "here, sell this.")
Does anyone have a link to where I can get a lot of detailed information?
Thanks again!

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'll keep him. :)
I'm glad that mine has more coloring on him than most of the other pics I've found... perhaps mine is a male and that's why he's more yellow than sand-colored? Or maybe he's just jaundiced. ;)

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
lol just got back from my LFS and they have the exact same crab you have pictured and are calling it a "flower crab"

any idea if it was reef safe? they were unsure but thought so/...........

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmm I'm not sure if it's closely related or not, but I can tell you that mine was 100% reef safe. :) No problems with him at all!
Good luck! I miss mine. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts