The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HOB fuge. No sump. 75gal tank.

I need to drill it so when the power goes out I can prevent the water from draining beck into the tank.

It is a CPR aquafuge 2.

The pipe that feeds it is very far (6 in.) into the fuge (to prevent high flow). It comes out and is attached to 2 90 degree angles due to the set up of my tank. The Rio 600 attaches to the end of the pipe in the tank. Roughly there is probably 15 inches of 1 inch pipe on the back of the fuge. I don't think this matters but I am trying to be thorough.

I am thinking that if I mark the area of the water (while flowing), on the inside pipe of the fuge.....then drill slightly below that. IF it doesn't work drill a bigger hole.

Tell me if I have it right?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on removing all the sand and sediment today from the fuge but saw that you want pictures so I will wait.

Here are side views of the HOB fuge-
http://www.thereeftank.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=37466&catid=member&imageuser=28190
http://www.thereeftank.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=37467&c=505

You can see the sediment buildup. My plan WAS to unplug the pump on the fuge; cover the end of the hose coming into the fuge; siphon out a lot of water; scoop out a lot of sand; siphon out the rest to remove ALL the sand. Refill to water line with good water.

NOW I will set up for a 35gal h2o change and do the fuge @ the same time so you can see the water level drop back into the tank.

Problem is by the time you will C pics of the water level actually being siphoned back into the tank, the h2o change will already been done and your advice will have to wait for the next h2o change to be used. Waste of time.

I was thinking about drilling a hole in the pipe that feeds the fuge....I will go with the side that butts up to the back of the tank as north.......on the east side so the flow out of the hole when the pump is running does not cause any mess. The south side would work also...I think.

Anyway I can get feedback on this B4 I do my water change?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pipe on the fuge is below the water line so drilling anywhere but up are my options. IMO the east or the south side of the pipe are my only options.

I wanted to get tricky and figure out a way to put some sort of oversized cap on the end that when the pump is on the flow pushes it open and when the pup turns off it automatically closes. I know this is frowned upon due to it not sealing properly but it seemed like the safest bet. A small leak is not a problem.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
The pipe on the fuge is below the water line so drilling anywhere but up are my options. IMO the east or the south side of the pipe are my only options.

I wanted to get tricky and figure out a way to put some sort of oversized cap on the end that when the pump is on the flow pushes it open and when the pup turns off it automatically closes. I know this is frowned upon due to it not sealing properly but it seemed like the safest bet. A small leak is not a problem.
That's exactly what a check valve does. Maybe you could get one and cut it down to make it more low profile? Or just redo the plumbing a little and add in a check valve?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think I understand your problem.
The pipe from your tank to the HOB runs from a power head in your tank to the BOTTOM of the HOB, correct? So when the pump is powered off your HOB drains water back into your display to the point where the 2 are at equal levels. This is caused by the siphon created. In order to prevent a drain back I would think you would need to break that siphon. You could drill a hole at the TOP of the pipe after it's inside the HOB. If your powerhead is pushing too much through the line you might get a fountain coming out that hole though. In this case you could cut out the 90* angle of the pipe inside the HOB and replace it with a T and simply leave open the side facing up, perhaps adding a short bit of pipe as a snorkel.
You also need to check the output pipe. If the return line goes into your display tank and the output is completely below the surface you'll need to put a hole somewhere above the water line here too.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The fuge should only drain down until the display and fuge levels equalize and the fuge doesn't look much higher than the display water level so you are only talking about maybe a gallon or so which shouldn't create a flood.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are correct AZ. There is no flood to speak of. I made sure of that today while emptying the fuge of everything. (my first time with a wet vac on the tank. I will NEVER go back) Anyway, I ended up drilling a hole because when I unhooked the rio (fuge pump) it constantly siphoned more water into the HOB (as I was vacuuming it out). I eventually had to dismantle the piping. I then drilled a hole, which does not create a fountain nor any kind of mess. The only "downside" to it is that when filling the HOB it constantly sucks bubbles into the fuge until the hole is below the waterline.

*The reason I want to prevent this siphon is so I can do small water changes through the fuge.*

I do not know how the hole will affect the working of the fuge, we will C. I am going to use it as a settling tank.

I just did a partial WC to empty and refill the HOB. I will be doing another 35%er soon. When that happens we will C how the fuge reacts now that the hole is drilled. AKA-how much it pulls out with no power.

Thank you all for posting responses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts