The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Your return pump has to pump less than your overflow can handle. To be perfectly safe, assume no head loss.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Nooooo.... I think you have it confused there.

Is your tank reef ready or is the overflow a Hang on type??

Either way, you need to know how much flow the overflow can handle going into the sump....

Then you want your return (to tank) pump to pump LESS than the overflow could handle.

So you have i.e.- 350g going down the overflow (which may max at 500gph) because your return pump is pumping 350gph.

Your return pump NEEDS to be slower than your overflows.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 110 gallon tank that i am setting up and it is not reef ready i have a 220 gallon coralife super skimmer. I don't want to hang it on the tank and I have a 30 gallon tank that I was going to use for a sump so that I can put the skimmer in the sumphow should I set this up?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
rodneyfisher said:
I have a 110 gallon tank that i am setting up and it is not reef ready i have a 220 gallon coralife super skimmer. I don't want to hang it on the tank and I have a 30 gallon tank that I was going to use for a sump so that I can put the skimmer in the sumphow should I set this up?
Have the tank drilled

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sump with overflow box

Hey does any body have a drawing of how a over flow box and a sump work together in a tank with no pre drilled hole? I am a little bit confused about how it all works.
THANKS
Rodney

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't have a drawing but perhaps an explanation will help. If the tank is not drilled then you will have to use a hang on the back overflow box, the one I left a link to is made to use a small pump to keep the air out of it others just use water velocity to keep the air out. Anyway the overflow hangs on the back of the tank and the water flows into the inside section and then siphons over the top into the outside section, generally there is some type of partition in the outside chamber to help hold the siphon in case of a power failure. After it reaches the outside box it then flows out a bulkhead in the bottom and through a tube that terminates in your sump. After it reaches your sump then you have a return pump that pumps the water back out of the sump and into the tank, that way the only water comming out of the tank is what has been pumped into the tank.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
rodneyfisher said:
Hey does any body have a drawing of how a over flow box and a sump work together in a tank with no pre drilled hole? I am a little bit confused about how it all works.
THANKS
Rodney
Rodney, THIS is what you need to read! It's really helped me!
http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Great link there! Definitely spend some time browsing through melevs website......It is loaded w/ great information.

I think in this case the picture is worth a thousand words!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey, thanks Jess, that's exactly what I was looking for when I left my explanation but I couldn't remember where to find it. It's nice to know there's someone out there whos memory is still functioning.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have two overflow corner boxes each with a 1 and 1/4" inch drain to the 40 gallon sump
The tank is 180 gallons and the return pump is 3,000 gallons per hour..
Is this good ??

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes that's good. If you plan on keeping lps or sps corals you may also want to get some tunze streams or seio super flows to help randomize and increase the flow. In comparison right now my 180 is fish only and I am currently running 3000gph and am planning to put in annother 2200 to 3000gph.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I set up a return to the sump on the tank returns..
So if my pump is too stong I have valves now to return a portion back to the sump and give the overflows a break.

See what happens

·
Registered
671 Posts
I use a mag 18 on my 125 allglass with two megaflows. my sump is a 39 g tank. No problems yet. I was going to get the mag 12 but I'm happy with the 18. Sump pic.
sump r.jpg

40g sump.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts