The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...I have a question and since I can't seem to get people to check out my build thread I'll post it here instead ;)

Ok...going on a recommendation of a friend I bought a Wave2K. Cool idea, not so cool product IMO. I started it up last night...it seemed really cool. Not tool loud, nice wave action. I figured I was all set. I watched it work for about an hour and then we went out for a little while for some dinner. Came home and everything seemed ok again...then I checked it again and it was not working...I am not sure what happened, but it just stopped. Went to see what was going on and man was the motor HOT! I unplugged it and tried it again...nothing...unhooked the belt and the motor worked again...tried hooking it together again and nothing...I don't know. I am no electrician, but this thing seems wacky.

Anyway, I am going to try to send it back and go another route, but I am looking for suggestions. I am not going to drill for a CLS (although it would have been nice now looking back a few days), but anyway...

I like the Koralia's, I like MJ's, I was hoping for some wave action...but I do not want to spend $1k on Vortec's...so lets have em...help me out my friends, give me some ideas.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Frank,

So you did go with the wave2k. Thats what happened to my buddies unit, it overheated and fried, never worked again. If it was me, i would look into a couple Tunze nanostreams and point them at each and let the water colliding from the nanostreams cause the random flow.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Do you really think 2 Nanostreams would be enough for my 125 gal?
Um, no not really. I have 2 of the 6045s and a seio 820 in my 90

I would probably go with a regular tunze streams on a controller then, or 3 of the 6045s may work

For some reason i thought you had a 46 gallon. my mistake :jester:

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Frank,

After some thinking on this question. With the nano streams and the seio i have in my tank. I have 2 6045s and 1 seio 820. That comes out too about 3200 gph inside the tank, not including my return pump. With them 3 powerheads i am having trouble keeping my sand down it seems to go where ever it wants. So you maybe fine with 3 6045 nanostreams.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Good question.

Honestly i dont know. I have heard of people putting them on the Seio controller which just ramps the pumps down to about 30% then back up too 100% . If it worked in the long term, i dont know.

Tunze does make a 6055 nano stream that comes with a contoller but they go far about $250

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
IIRC they need to be a controllerable type.

How about 2 Vortecs on controllers?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Seio is supposed to be coming out with a new product here that I've been waiting to see and korila is supposed to be coming out with a controller for their pumps... Right now everything is kind of a sit and wait deal. But I do expect that there are some affordable alternatives by the end of summer;) Or at least I hope *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Seio is supposed to be coming out with a new product here that I've been waiting to see and korila is supposed to be coming out with a controller for their pumps... Right now everything is kind of a sit and wait deal. But I do expect that there are some affordable alternatives by the end of summer;) Or at least I hope *fingers crossed*

Is this the one your talking about?

http://riopump.net/new_products_folder/ElecController.html
B~

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
No, TAAM advertised these phaser looking powerheads in a magazine I got that claims over 2000gph if I recall and a similar, but different controller. Then hydor is reportedly coming out with its own controller, but I have not heard how many it will control and whether it will create wave action or just ramp flow up and down like the currently available seio controller... Wish I knew more:(

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
yea i think its called the polario?? or something like that
That sounds right;) Next time I go by the upstairs magazine rack I'll dig it out and see if I can't find a weblink.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
That flow isn't too bad... Would like to beta test one or two;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts