The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well..

I think I've come to the conclusion that the flow in my SPS tank, while really heavy, might not be the best. And might be responsible for the STN I'm seeing from time to time.

I have a PCX-70 pushing through 2 3/4" eductors. one on each side of my 72 gallon tank. MAJOR flow. But I think the problem is it might be uni-directional in places.

So I'm looking for advice as to what to do to fix this.

Some options I'm considering:

1. Get a Tunze system. Maybe 2 6000's and a controler to alternate/fluctuate the flow? Would this be sufficient? To REPLACE the CLS I have in place already?

2. Get a $30 SWCD and put it in the closed loop. I've avoided this as I'm not a fan of the 1/3rd loss in flow. But now that I have the eductors on the outputs, I actually have the pumped dialed back by half! (ball valve is half closed. So maybe the 1/3rd loss could be compensated by opening the ball valve back up all the way? But how does the SWCD work with eductors? Will I still get the pressure needed for the eductors to work effectively?

3. Look into Oceans motions or something else similar. Will this help?

4. Something YOU guys suggest.

I know the Tunze's is the easiest way to go, and would allow me to take my CLS, and maybe put it on my other softie/zoa tank (w/out the eductors, of course). But DANG are those things pricey!

Any input on how to get random/changing/fluctuating flow would be appreciated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think you can use the scwd or the OM with educters. They can't handle the back pressure.

Maybe you could get an OM and run the pcx-70 through that. Then you could set up a second CL for the educters. You could use maybe a Velocity T3 pump and keep the head pressure without the GPH.

Just some thoughts.

AJ

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
it does a good job of moving water but since it makes waves, you would either need to lower the water level in the tank to make sure it doesnt go over the top, or you can do some sort of lip like eurobracing and I think it would keep it in

·
11,345 Posts
afbengochea said:
it does a good job of moving water but since it makes waves, you would either need to lower the water level in the tank to make sure it doesnt go over the top, or you can do some sort of lip like eurobracing and I think it would keep it in
my return pump is off for video purposes to catch air......when the sump return is running the water is two inches higher and there arent any air bubbles, and the waves are much smaller...

but that wouldnt make for a very good video if you couldnt SEE the flow.......

it WOULD go over the top a top a touch if it were a glass tank or didnt have a lip on it.....but you could just simply adjust the omniflex nozzles toi eliminate that

·
11,345 Posts
verde_ad said:
I don't think you can use the scwd or the OM with educters. They can't handle the back pressure.

Maybe you could get an OM and run the pcx-70 through that. Then you could set up a second CL for the educters. You could use maybe a Velocity T3 pump and keep the head pressure without the GPH.

Just some thoughts.

AJ
Just get ONE pomp that is big enough to do what you want...instead of two pumps and seperate cls plumbing........

·
11,345 Posts
afbengochea said:
I meant that the wave2k would need the lower water level since you cant point the direction of the wave. Your setup is like mine that gives you the option of where to point the flow since it has omniflex/locline
oh...still a non issue with most acrylic tanks........or a special lip for your glass one

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well...I currently have about an inch and a half from the top of the water to the lip of the tank. it is a glass tank. 72 gallon bowfront.

Okay...so the SWCD is out. As for the eductors...If whatever replaced the CLS provided enough flow, I could deal with them going in a drawer. I'm only attached to them for the flow they provide. If they aren't needed, they aren't needed.

So sounds like OM is probably the route I want to go?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was suggesting two CLs because it is my understanding that you can't run a pressure application and a non pressure application off the same pump. If two of the outlets need a lot of pressure to work properly and 4 don't the water will naturally favor the four outlets.

If you don't care, I have heard really good things about the OM products.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
...and the OM is (MUCH) cheaper than two Tunze 6000 plus the controller... and has equivalent or better results. Although I like the tunze pumps, they are so expensive with the current exchange rate against the Deutschmark/Euro that alternatives must be considered, especially in new setups compared to established systems.

·
Registered
104 Posts
skeety, what about using lock-line to direct the flow more. I am sure you can connect them to your CLS and this way have your high/med/low areas in your tank. also help in removal of detris by being able to accurately distribute flow.

·
11,345 Posts
verde_ad said:
I was suggesting two CLs because it is my understanding that you can't run a pressure application and a non pressure application off the same pump. If two of the outlets need a lot of pressure to work properly and 4 don't the water will naturally favor the four outlets.

If you don't care, I have heard really good things about the OM products.
Got it..youre right you would have to.....

The way the OM units work they simply arent condusive for eductors no matter what pump you have. For anyone who doesnt know there is a drum revolving around inside the unit and as it spins there is varying amounts of flow provided to each port so only at a very small part of each revolution would an eductor EVER be effective for use on one.

Even with using 2 of the 8 ports for spraybars i had to put some effort into some experiments to make sure the spraybars holes were big enough and that there were enough of them so that they would even get very much flow. My drum has 3 ports open all the time and if i didt allow for hat the water would just bypass the spraybars for the most part like you say and take the easier route....

There are flow ranges anywhere from 3 ports open completely to 6 ports open partially 8 times at 8 different positions every minute with the 8 way OM and the drum i use.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
then there is the right field suggestions from Geoff!!

ok, this is what i would do. go to HD and get yourself a couple of either 3/4" or 1" sprinkler solenoid valves, the 24volt wall wart, and a sprinkler controller. all of this should cost you under $100. you would then be able to keep your eductors. i would just oscillate between the two valves. i have these valves in use on my semi-automated WC system and have performed great.

G~

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
skeety said:
Well..

I think I've come to the conclusion that the flow in my SPS tank, while really heavy, might not be the best. And might be responsible for the STN I'm seeing from time to time.
How did you get to this conclusion? I have hear guy saying that flow is the best thing for SPS and have tons of it. What if you take the eductors out?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts