The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Saugus MA, right in the center of the "North East " storm.
Th stream out back is gone, my yard is gone and the water is around 6 feet from my foundation and closing by the hour!!!! Ducks are paddling in my backyard! Maybe I should start a Koi pond! :eek: :help:

I feel luck though...no water at all in the lower level of my split home. If I had a below ground basement, it would be flooded I'm sure. Tomorrow and until mid week the waters are supposed to rise even more. Hopefully that 6 foot buffer will be enough to keep the water out of my basement.

Also, I work in Lowell, where the Merrimack River is supposed to rise 8-10 feet above flood level. My place of work is across the street from the Merrimack river on Pawtucket Blvd. I think I may get a free day off from work tomorrow.

:bigeek:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes, I also started out as an ME major, switched to Physics, took a year off and studied classical guitar at New England Conservatory of Music then finished my Physics degree at UNH. I got my Masters in EE at Northeastern in 96. Where are you going to school?

xrobbx03 said:
i was just reading your profile so your an engineer huh, im going to school right now to be a mechanical engineer

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
School

Excellent school for engineering. My friend's son goes there....He is a freshman. I remember my first ME course. Intro to ME. The meeting after the first class was at the local bar, no kidding, and was called: "The Dynamics of Fluid Flow Into and Out of the Stomach"....:funny:. That was how it was at UNH around 1976 when I started out as a freshman...a lot more loose back then.

xrobbx03 said:
Im going into my third year at wentworth right now. Its not bad i like it.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
i have a 38 gallon that im just now starting to turn into a reef cause i just got my new MH lighting. Its about 6 months old now its starting to get to where i want it to be but it never ends. I just started the hobby this year and i love it so far very addicting.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hobby

Addictive is definitely the word for this hobby!;)
Do u use a skimmer? sump? live rock? bare bottom tank or sand bed?
fwhat kind of fish do you have?

xrobbx03 said:
i have a 38 gallon that im just now starting to turn into a reef cause i just got my new MH lighting. Its about 6 months old now its starting to get to where i want it to be but it never ends. I just started the hobby this year and i love it so far very addicting.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Chuck Spyropulos said:
Addictive is definitely the word for this hobby!;)
Do u use a skimmer? sump? live rock? bare bottom tank or sand bed?
fwhat kind of fish do you have?
I have a Cpr bak-pak for a skimmer, i dont have a sump there is no room for it i wish i did tho. I have about 40-45lbs LR and about a 2-3 inch sand bed.

Livestock:
2x false percs
Yellow watchman goby
3x blue/green chromis
fire shrimp
queen conch

Corals:
Goniopora and tomorrow im going to get a GBTA for my percs.

Whats your setup like?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Setup

Sounds very nice!

I have a really big tank with nothing in it as far as corals. I had a bad experience with acro eating flatworms. I also accidentally overdosed ozone. Between these two episodes, my tank was pretty much nuked.:bawling:

xrobbx03 said:
I have a Cpr bak-pak for a skimmer, i dont have a sump there is no room for it i wish i did tho. I have about 40-45lbs LR and about a 2-3 inch sand bed.

Livestock:
2x false percs
Yellow watchman goby
3x blue/green chromis
fire shrimp
queen conch

Corals:
Goniopora and tomorrow im going to get a GBTA for my percs.

Whats your setup like?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flood

We feel really fortunate here...no water in our lower level. Our street is closed to the main road Route 1. Rte 129 closed. Rte 1 closed. Lot's of people got basement floods here, 3- 4 " of water or more.

Hopefull the dam at the end of our stree will hold up and prevent the resevoir from spilling, etc. That would really be a disaster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts