The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have this float switch I want to use for auto top off from my 45 gal container,it works just fine problem is after it shuts off the pump there is a siphon created it filled up my sump and I caught it just before it overflowed,How can I fix it to not start a siphon when it shuts the pump off? I have attched pics of the
switch and container.:)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Take a length of 1" PVC pipe that is at least 4 inches higher than the toplip of the reservoir , place a "T" on the bottom and drill a small hole in the top (large enough to put a zip tie through it).

Mount the tube inside your sump (be creative with some zip ties... :D ) perpendicular to the bottom of your sump. You can run it out the back of your stand if need be to keep it above the level of the water reservoir. Zip tie the water line from your power head in the reservoir to the TOP of the PVC tube with enough running down inside the tube to keep it from spraying the surroundings when the pump is on, but not so far down that it goes below the level of the reservoir when the reservoir is full. Use the hole you drilled with a zip tie to fix the position of the water tube. Now when the punp comes on, there is a siphon break at a level above the water level in the reservoir. The "t" at the bottom of the length of PVC keeps the base of the pipe from becoming occluded by the base of the sump.

HTH:D

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I'd just drill a small hole in the side of the line and put an airline checkvalve in the hole...

I guess there's always the better mouse trap to build though.... ;)

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
Adjust the length of the feed tubing so that its not below the sumps water level, exposing the end to air is what breaks the siphon effect

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doug I tried that and it still siphoned,gonna drill a hole and see what happens

·
1,262 Posts
I'm assuming it's the pressure from the 45 gallon fill container that is pushing the water into the sump, is that correct?

If that's the case, don't drill a hole in the line just yet... The problem is that it's gravity feeding rather than syphoning...

Can you snap some pics so I can get an overview of what is where and how it is hooked up?

·
1,262 Posts
No,

The problem is that the syphon is either sucking from the sump end, or is being pushed from the gravity feed on the reseviour end... A check valve won't work in that situation and there is still positive pressure...

Casey, is the outlet on the fill tank on the bottom?? If it is, that is source of the problem...

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No buzz it is on the top 4 inch from lid must be gravity feeding

·
Registered
565 Posts
Your fill tube from your resevoir needs to be above both your fresh water resevoir and your sump so as buzz was saying you don't get a gravity feed from your fresh water storage tank.

Earl

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heres where the holes are pump sits on bottom and pumps up and out holes and into sump

·
Registered
565 Posts
Casey,

From the picture it doesn't look like it would be gravity feeding because you water line in the storage tank is below where it feeds out and as long as your feed tube doesn't go below your storage tank water line into your sump you should be fine. Is your feed hose going into your sump above the water line in the sump?

Earl

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes it is I drilled a hole and it worked but the line stays full of water guess that wont hurt. :)

·
1,262 Posts
cool... I wouldn't worry about the line being filled with water... It will prob be filling several times a day in little increments so the water won't be stagnant long enough to cause any problems...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts